Mixing Sports Training with BP

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
cgrover

Mixing Sports Training with BP

Post by cgrover »

Adhering to 5 days of famine diet/workouts is no problem. However, I'm trying to figure out if I can combine soccer training with the feast phase.

Can practice and sports training in the gym/plyometrics be combined? Practice is well...practice and in the gym we use resistance bands, medicine balls, Bosu balls, agility ladders...think "Combine" training without weights.

During the 3 days of initial feast, where you do not workout, can I still practice/train?

During the 5 days of establishing PR can I train? What about the "meat" of the feast workout phase?
sovabrat

Post by sovabrat »

Welcome to the forums. I would start by asking how old you are. That might make a difference in the amount of work you can handle. I think some of the older guys would be worn down pretty well with that type of schedule.

I cant comment with specifics, I am sure Rob will come lend his opinion but here is what I am thinking. As long as your plyo/soccer training isnt stressing out your major lifts (sqaut, bench, deadlift) it wont negatively affect your 1RM progression unless you are completely drained of energy by the time you hit the gym.

Is this summer conditioning? It sounds like what I went through prior to the new season. Is it possible to do your training in the monrings before practice? I would then think that your practices would serve as good cardio.

Just my two cents.
cgrover

Post by cgrover »

Thanks for the response. I'm 19, and yep, winding down our Spring Season and headed into Summer Conditioning. I'll be on my own for most of the summer but I'll be working with a group of guys at my gym who play College Football and our trainer is a former NFL player...

I think my body can handle it...I'm a goalkeeper and even though some people think we're out of shape, we have to do the same conditioning everyone else does plus in practice our bodies get a lot of abuse. We'll dive 100+ times in practice 5 days a week and my body has been acclimated to deal with this since I was about 12.

Some days I can do the "training/cardio" in the morning and lift later. Others I'll do them on separate days. Depends on scheduling.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

cgrover,

What are your goals for BP

Depends on your goals. Roughly -
If your goal is increased performance on the field, even though BP is designed by a lifter, you can leave it all on the field every third day of practice during the feast and get some pretty amazing results. Emphasize sprints, jump squats, dragging, pullups, hand stand push ups and close with careful loaded stretches. Go in weight room once a week to work on your main strength and on your main weakness with slow heavy lifts.
If your goal is strength, there's really no reason you can't tone down field conditioning a little bit during feast, lift heavy twice a week and make sure you have more than adequate rest time after workouts.
If your goal is significant mass then generally speaking you will need to find a way to reduce long aerobic practices and increase focus on one of the heavy lifting protocols...

very generally speaking... others may have more specifics

No matter what - plan appropriate variability for your own goals and include slightly more than adequate rest time in that planning...

hth
cgrover

Post by cgrover »

Brain -
Thanks so much for the response. I'm starting to get a good idea of BP and how it fits in with my goals. Still reading and re-reading BP.

I'd say I'm focusing more on strength. With lifts but also explosiveness in terms of movements.

The diet during each phase is pretty self explanatory and shouldn't be an issue to follow.

With that said, which one of the loading patterns or routines do you think would work best given that I'll be doing this kind of sports training for cardio?
cgrover

Post by cgrover »

On a side note -

Do you guys think lifting straps are a good idea. Hadn't used them before but tried them today when we were doing Clean to front squat to overhead press and liked the extra stability/support.

Are these a crutch or are they actually useful?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Provided your goals are geared toward total tonnage vs. grip strength, great investment.
cgrover

Post by cgrover »

Rob, just wanted to make sure that what I was proposing in the first post would be possible, or that I wouldn't be being counterproductive.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

That's fine. The only thing I'd be on guard for is over-training. You can fit it all in, just take care in doing so.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

cgrover,
re "With that said, which one of the loading patterns or routines do you think would work best given that I'll be doing this kind of sports training for cardio?

I simply am not close enough to soccer anymore OR where you're at individually to recommend a particular protocol. Given the goals you have stated I can generally say I personally would go for building fast strength in the movements of diagonal and horizontal leaping and raised arm (over head) hand speed - but particular workouts? I just can't be specific. Maybe someone else can help OR Maybe invent your own - one off and awkward at first... ultimately your own goalie edge...

For tricks 8) - I would probably also do ALL kicks with non dominant foot up to near the very end of summer training - will 'transfer' with accuracy gains to other foot...

re Peaking on game day... you can start now to peak on important game days. See
https://www.amazon.com/Consistent-Winnin ... 0875961347
BP is on a certain level a 'peaking' program also... and these two can be integrated for geometric returns...

hth all the best and have fun