blueprint and bad knees?

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
iamthewalrus15

blueprint and bad knees?

Post by iamthewalrus15 »

Hello,

I have bad knees. Simply put I can't squat low or heavy or do deads.

The only way I will end up not in a wheel chair is by goint light and not anywhere near failure in both of these.

Assuming I can handle it, should i go ahead and do the squarts/deads at the rate in which i can handle it? Will it be pointless? Can I still make good upper body gains on this program??

Thanks
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

You for sure can still do these and make excellent progress. Some modifications will be necessary but a few examples:

For squats, please look into the Hip Belt Squat as it allows you to sit far back into the movement and take the pressure OFF the knees. Will feel awkward at first but you'll get the hang of it quickly:

IRONMIND HIP BELT
https://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmi ... umber=1220

SPUD SQUAT BELT
https://www.flexcart.com/members/eliteft ... D&pid=1595

If you do order either one, I highly suggest getting the Ironmind loading pin, which can be found here and makes loading/unloading a snap:
15" LOADING PIN

https://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmi ... ber=1314-C

Provided you can't go heavy, still lots of ways to make progress. Total tonnage lifting is a great example and tailor made for higher reps. Example:

Hip Belt Squat

- 3 sets of 20 reps with 150lbs = 9,000lbs

- Assume 5 minutes between sets for a total time of 13 minutes from start to finish to complete all 3 sets.

- 9,000lbs/13 minutes = 692lbs per minute you demanded your muscles lift

Now you have an objective measurement of the intensity you've delivered. The objective is to construct the next workout with either more weight, more reps, perform the same amount of work in a shorter time period or a combination of such to beat the 692lbs per minute threshold.

Presto, there's your progressive overload and the stimulus for new muscle growth.

Now lets look at what a higher weight would do to that equation. Assume you squatted 300lbs for 5 reps over the same 3 sets/13 minutes. That would yield 4,500lbs/13 minutes for an average intensity of just 346lbs per minute. Granted, you'd be "stronger" in your 1RM attempts and you may develop more "fast twitch" muscle fibers. But it's just one way to skin a cat...

Now you have 2. Many, many more tricks up my sleeve too if you don't care for this one..
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

As for your upper body, you sure can make great gains there too!

Highly suggest you perform BP "by the book" here as detailed starting on page 13 of BP.

At the conclusion of the first 5 workouts, you'll have a new 1RM to base off of. Now that you have that, you'll slide into the German Loading pattern #1 that follows.

This will deliver ANOTHER 5%+ to your bench press 1RM for example, in just 6 workouts!

As you can see, lots of ways to make progress. I'd focus on the Bench press for the majority of Feast, with your SQ and Dimel Deadlifts coming second. The only reason for prioritizing as such is that the SQ/DL will take some tinkering with to get right. You'll still get there, but I want everyone walking away from BP with a new PR of some sort EVERY time.

And to date, that's exactly what's happening. Any questions let me know. I'm here for you....with the exception of next week. I have to play insurance at my "real" job on the West Coast :roll:
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

On the deadlift, you'll likely benefit from incorporating the Dimel deadlift to start. This is a mid-range, higher rep movement that strengthens the entire posterior chain and most importantly, lower back/abs that'll need to stay in line with the greater leg strength offered by the hip belt squat. Incorporating both will be a boon to your progress. Here's a good clip on how best to perform:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suyZqKOi ... re=related

I'd look into 1 or 2 sets of 20 reps with 50% of your 1RM on traditional deadlifts. Next workout up the weight about 10% and do 15 reps. Third session up the weight another 10% for 10 reps. Cycle through all three rep ranges 3 times. I think you'll find these compliment your squat nicely, build the muscles on the backside of your body and do so in an intensity range that won't burn you out/take away from hard work on the SQ.

Keep us posted and yes, you CAN do this!
iamthewalrus15

Post by iamthewalrus15 »

Thanks for all this fantastic information!!!

I am absolutely going to give these modified deads a shot.

As for the squat, I can't see how it would take pressure off the knees?? Which of the two belts do you think is the best?
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

My two cents. I have/had only one bad knee. Bad enough I was waiting for it to go out completely or to be too painful to bear. Everyone is different but this is what I did.

Purchased a good pair of running shoes and put insoles in my work boots. Always take care of your feet.

Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM Vitamin World, MASS also carries one I do not recommend Costco brand. (Sorry Kirkland)

Workout: I started on the sled, and a super squat machine. Quad extensions had to be light or they would aggravate the knee. It was strange, over time I went heavier and heavier and actually had less knee pain. I stopped the super squat machine because I maxed it out and moved to deep squats and jump squats. The BP got me off the sled and into the squat rack and so far (knock on wood) I have had no knee issues. I looked into this belt and still think it would be great but for now I'm enjoying real squats. Yes I do, there has always been a euphoria that comes from heavy leg exercises that I can't get anywhere else. Good form, slow movements, and a smart weight......
Do what you can and good luck!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

My pleasure. I loved helping you guys out..

On the belts, I've only used the SuperSquats hip belt. Absolutely love it and would highly recommend it. I'm sure the Spud is fine too..

The hip belt seems to lend itself to a greater ROM and be safer on the knees. When you "sit back" that far it seems to hit more of the hams/glutes vs. knees. I don't know all the biomechanics. Just don't elevate the heels as that will aggravate things.

BONUS: it also self regulates your depth. Time after time you see it in the gym. As the weight gets heavier the squats get higher. A light touch of the weights to the floor and you KNOW you've hit parallel provided you've set it up properly. Two cinderblocks for two bucks in front of a pole/squat rack support beam and holding onto it...you can sit WAY back.
I CAN tell you that it's been an absolute BOON to my training.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

And GREAT post Draco. Members helping members... that's what John wanted for this board and I'm happy to see it's shaping up that way.