1st Run Log

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
MSR9889

1st Run Log

Post by MSR9889 »

I figure I might as well log this.

Today was supposed to be the start of my famine phase. I actually havent slept in 2 days because of work and projects that needed to be done for yesterday and today. Im assuming this wont hurt too much since this phase is going to drain me anyways. Only downside is that I only took my heart rate once after waking (18 beats/20 seconds, so 54 bps which might be wrong).

First workout is going to be today. Ill be doing this routine unless you suggest something else. I posted this question under the BP 2.0 thread.

Squats 3 sets 4-6 reps
superset with hamstring hyper extensions

Deadlift 3 sets 4-6 reps
superset with pullups, hang at the bottom to stretch

Concentration Curls 3 sets 4-6 reps
superset with preacher curl

Also, breakfast today was an orange and 5 slices of cantaloupe. This was probably only around 150 calories though.
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Welcome to the forums, MSR9889.

Please make yourself at home.

I'll leave the training talk to Rob, but will tell you that I've found cantaloupe invaluable in so many ways over the years - and that goes especially so in a famine/detox phase.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Welcome aboard...

And nice start to the Famine. As you've found out, life sometimes throws you curves but you're leveraging that, so congrats. I'm curious as to what differences you note between days 1 and 3 in particular.

Take care to maintain health while detoxing. You sound like you've got it scoped out. The fresh, "live" fruits and foods do impart a unique sense of self, which you can feel. Difficult to describe unless you've been there.

Fire away with questions. You're on your way!
MSR9889

Post by MSR9889 »

this workout was rough. all i ate all day was the orange and cantaloupe.

Squats
135 x 8
185 x 5, 185 x 5, 185 x 2

superset with hamstring hyperextensions for 10 each leg. did feel these as much as id like to.
the lactic acid build up after squats burned like it never has before. after my warm up set it hurt to bend my legs to sit down. i also went down as far as i could balance with the squats. normally i just go parallel.

Deadlift
135 x 8
225 x 5, 225 x 5, 225 x 5

superset with pull ups, hanging at the bottom - 4, 3, 2
this was a lot harder than i thought it would be, 225 is normally part of my warm up. my legs barely held up

Standing wide grip EZ bar curl
75 x 6, 75 x 5, 75 x 4

superset with preacher curl, full extension - 75 x 4, 75 x 4, 75 x 1

pwo i ate 2 bowls of lettuce (the mixed leafy kind, not iceberg or romaine), shredded carrots, sliced cucumbers, sesame sticks?, and 2 tbsp ranch dressing for each.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Excellent detail and I appreciate the update.

Your experience starting out is atypical. Most trainees find the first session easy going. Comments like "I felt like working faster between sets", things like that. I suspect though, that much of what you're experiencing early is due to the aforementioned sleep deprivation. No worries.

Expect to feel a profound energy slump over the next 2-3 days. Day 3 is when it really hits for me. It's natural and proof positive you're getting into the state we're trying to create. Don't worry, there's a method to the madness as you know. You can do this for 5 days.

And you're going to love the rebound once the Feast traction kicks in!
MSR9889

Post by MSR9889 »

yea, 2 weeks off plus going off of 2 nights no sleep hurt. i actually have a good amount of energy for my workout, all things considered. but i really think most of it was the lactic acid build up, especially on the squats. my legs still are burning from just walking.

for the deadlifts, my back could have done more but i dont think my legs could.
MSR9889

Post by MSR9889 »

breakfast today was about half a cantaloupe and an orange

lunch was romaine lettuce, shredded carrots, sliced cucumbers with 2-3 tbsp ranch dressing

dinner was another salad, same stuff

late last night i had 2 servings of cocoa roasted almonds
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Excellent feedback and I appreciate the detail. Certainly helps me in analyzing/crafting adjustments if necessary.

Today should be day 3 so I'll be very curious as to what your feedback is. Watching this one closely. You seem to have the same seasoned ability to listen to your body other Blueprint customers do. This is a HUGE part of Blueprint refinement from cycle to cycle so it bodes well.

Three more days man, hang in there...
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

MSR9889 wrote:yea, 2 weeks off plus going off of 2 nights no sleep hurt. i actually have a good amount of energy for my workout, all things considered. but i really think most of it was the lactic acid build up, especially on the squats. my legs still are burning from just walking.

for the deadlifts, my back could have done more but i dont think my legs could.
Your last comment is a good example of listening to the signals your body gives you. You were smart to heed this message. Most trainees ignore these messages, usually resulting in an injury.

I don't know how long you've been training but obviously, you've got this part of it (and it's a big part) down.
MSR9889

Post by MSR9889 »

breakfast today was a bowl of cantaloupe and a bowl of pineapple

pwo i had a plate of romaine, shredded carrots, sliced cucumber, and 2-3 tbsp ranch dressing. also had a bowl of romaine with salsa, pico de gallo, black olives, and a little bit of sour cream.

i had 3 mozzarella sticks around 9, all about the size of a finger.
MSR9889

Post by MSR9889 »

woke up this morning feeling mentally refreshed, though i only got about 7 hours of sleep. my legs feel more sore than the past 2 days. ive had crazy dreams the past 2 nights also.

workout today is going to be

Bench
superset with dumbbell pullovers

Smith machine shoulder press

EZ bar close grip bench
superset with overhead tricep extensions
MSR9889

Post by MSR9889 »

bench
95 x 10, 135 x 8, 135 x 8, 135 x 5, 125 x 1 and 105 x6
superset with dumbbell pullovers
40 x 8, 40 x 8, 40 x 8, 40 x 8

shoulder press
35 x 8, 35 x 8, 35 x 8, 30 x 6

close grip ez bar bench
75 x 8, 75 x 8, 75 x 8, 75 x 7
superset with overhead dumbbell press
35 x 8, 30 x 7, 25 x 8, 25 x 3

my arms are completely drained right now.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Again, great detail and I do appreciate it.

The vivid dreams, I've noticed too. I wasn't sure if they're connected and still don't know. Perhaps they are...

"Completely drained" is the feeling we're looking for. Curious, how is the bodyweight/waking pulse since you've started? Just looking for any and all measures. We've typically seen 1+lb/day lost in this phase given the catabolic signals the body is gettting...
MSR9889

Post by MSR9889 »

RobRegish wrote:Again, great detail and I do appreciate it.

The vivid dreams, I've noticed too. I wasn't sure if they're connected and still don't know. Perhaps they are...

"Completely drained" is the feeling we're looking for. Curious, how is the bodyweight/waking pulse since you've started? Just looking for any and all measures. We've typically seen 1+lb/day lost in this phase given the catabolic signals the body is gettting...
i actually had completely forgotten about the waking pulse. :(

starting weight was somewhere around 194 and i just weighed myself now in clothes and without going to the bathroom and im 189. cant be too much water weight as ive been drinking 1.5-2 gallons a day.