Anyone Else Used the Super Squats Book?

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
EctoBuilder

Anyone Else Used the Super Squats Book?

Post by EctoBuilder »

Per Rob's suggestion, I ordered the book "Super Squats" from amazon.com. The amazon.com reviews of the book were really good as well...The only negative reviews were those that got injured(probably from bad form) or had nothing else better to do but to slam the book without even reading it...

So far, the book is incredibly motivating to read. There doesn't seem to be anyway you can fail as long as you stick to the book.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else but Rob has tried it yet and incorporated it into the Blueprint? As Rob recommended, due to the fact that I'm 45 years old, I will need to modify it a bit to avoid injury....

I guess I do the FAMINE phase as usual and then I just do the routines in the Super Squats book, as opposed to the BluePrint Exercises? At least that's what I'm assuming I do.... It's only for 6 weeks, so I can do the super squat routine the first blueprint run and then the next one, I can do one of the actual blueprint routines...
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I know DaCookie has had great success, amongst others with this routine.

And yes, perfectly acceptable to perform this routine "as is", within the context of The BP's "shell"... Happy gaining!
EctoBuilder

Post by EctoBuilder »

RobRegish wrote:I know DaCookie has had great success, amongst others with this routine.

And yes, perfectly acceptable to perform this routine "as is", within the context of The BP's "shell"... Happy gaining!

Thanks for your comment Rob...I'm not 100% sure yet if I want to do this program or follow one of your other programs in the blueprint.... Amazon.com had some good reviews, but I'm finding many other reviews on the internet telling tales of horrible injuries that were received by doing the super squat program, and that's it's an extremely difficult program that very few are able to get through.

My main fear at 45 years old is having a debilitating squatting injury that lasts my entire lifting life.... Perhaps it might be better for me to stick to one of your blueprint workouts that allows more flexibility.

A gallon of milk a day for me wouldn't be the issue. The issue would be a fear that I wouldn't be able to go heavy enough on the squats to make the program effective, thus gaining mostly fat from all the milk.....

I read through your blueprint workouts , and I'm thinking that I like them better :)

Thoughts?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

EctoBuilder wrote:
RobRegish wrote:I know DaCookie has had great success, amongst others with this routine.

Thanks for your comment Rob...I'm not 100% sure yet if I want to do this program or follow one of your other programs in the blueprint.... Amazon.com had some good reviews, but I'm finding many other reviews on the internet telling tales of horrible injuries that were received by doing the super squat program, and that's it's an extremely difficult program that very few are able to get through.

My main fear at 45 years old is having a debilitating squatting injury that lasts my entire lifting life.... Perhaps it might be better for me to stick to one of your blueprint workouts that allows more flexibility.

A gallon of milk a day for me wouldn't be the issue. The issue would be a fear that I wouldn't be able to go heavy enough on the squats to make the program effective, thus gaining mostly fat from all the milk.....

I read through your blueprint workouts , and I'm thinking that I like them better :)

Thoughts?
They are indeed more "savvy" (the loading patterns) vs. straight, linear progression. I say this because step loading is a lot more gentle on the body (considering the fact there are de-loads built in).

The kicker is this: For the un-initiated, a properly managed linear progression scheme like SS will yield GREATER gains, vs. the step load. Once you're more advanced, the step load is needed to continue progressing. They work exceptionally well, as +5 to 10% on a 300lb lift is a LOT more than the same on a 175lb lift...
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

EctoBuilder wrote: A gallon of milk a day for me wouldn't be the issue. The issue would be a fear that I wouldn't be able to go heavy enough on the squats to make the program effective, thus gaining mostly fat from all the milk.....
Milk="Diesel Juice"

I am a firm believer in drinking milk and the results it helps with...
EctoBuilder

Post by EctoBuilder »

matter2003 wrote:
EctoBuilder wrote: A gallon of milk a day for me wouldn't be the issue. The issue would be a fear that I wouldn't be able to go heavy enough on the squats to make the program effective, thus gaining mostly fat from all the milk.....
Milk="Diesel Juice"

I am a firm believer in drinking milk and the results it helps with...
matter2003, how much milk a day do you think is too much? health wise?
SEANONE

Post by SEANONE »

Are you concerned about injuring your back? I know I was and that's why I invested in the spud belt that is recomended in 2.0 and it worked great! It took me a little bit to dial it in (2 workouts) but I gained 9 pounds over 5 weeks with just a little fat. Keep in mind though that I am only 5'5" and i have a hell of a time putting on weight. Another thing that I like about SS is the whole body routine which I had never done before, it makes for a nice change of pace. Good luck if you choose to do it and if you have any ?'s feel free to fire away.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

SEANONE wrote:Are you concerned about injuring your back? I know I was and that's why I invested in the spud belt that is recomended in 2.0 and it worked great! It took me a little bit to dial it in (2 workouts) but I gained 9 pounds over 5 weeks with just a little fat. Keep in mind though that I am only 5'5" and i have a hell of a time putting on weight. Another thing that I like about SS is the whole body routine which I had never done before, it makes for a nice change of pace. Good luck if you choose to do it and if you have any ?'s feel free to fire away.
And there we go... :)

So happy the Spud Belt recommendation, helped you!!!
SEANONE

Post by SEANONE »

The spud belt actually has multiple uses, one of which is my favorite use in 3.0 is weighted dips. The width of the belt makes it easy to load up heavy and lean slightly foward at the bottom of the rep to nail the chest and delts. I only wish the belt was a little shorter. To squat with it and the 15" loading pin I have to stand on 3 stacked cinderblocks due to my short legs. Please dont be discouraged by the haters that leave the negative reveiws online cause I almost fell for it too. Listen to your body as Rob always preaches along with staying focused and you will get what you put into it.
EctoBuilder

Post by EctoBuilder »

Hey SEANONE, thanx for the response. I think what's scaring me the most is in the super squats book where he describes in details how intense the 20 reps suppose to be....Basically if your mind fails even the slightest, you are screwed, because after the 15th rep, it's all mental, and explaining how you very well might pass out after the 20th rep. I guess it's just the way he describes the incredible pain, leads me to thinking about blowing out a knee or a potentially a career injuring move if your mind wavers just a little bit as you attempt like hell to try and push the last few reps up...He doesn't mention that if you feel something bad happen to stop....I think that chapter made me thing this book isn't for me... If you've read the book, you'll know what part I'm talking about :wink:

If it was possible to still get good gains if you weren't quite as intense as he says you need to be, then I'd be all for it. But to be honest with you, I think a slow death being dipped in a vat of acid sounds better than the horrible hell he describes.... :lol:

Now, I've read through the blueprint and it's intense, but Rob won't tell you to push through the pain and he's mentioned that if you feel something isn't right(abnormal pain etc) stop!., and I like that!!

I just wonder what my results would be if I drank a gallon of milk a day and followed the blueprint program instead of super squats... Hmmm....I bet nobody has tried that yet....
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I think Matter has come close to a gallon/day.

And God, look at his results!