Leucine

Serious supplementation, focused on the MASS line at BodyBuildingSupplements.com
the_buffer

Leucine

Post by the_buffer »

More and more I'm hearing about the benefits of adding leucine to protein shakes, and Dr. Connelly also seems to feel very strongly on the idea. I've been using it with the formula, but should leucine be added to all "liquid meals"?
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

I can't answer your question but I will try 2-3g of leucine every couple hours during my next run. Then, I will know the benefits or lack of...
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

I am doing this now, adding about 5-10g leucine to all my shakes.Then for the formula I use the standard BCAA.Ive been using a lot of stuff this blueprint run but I am fairly sure it works if Layne Norton and Connelly recommend it.

I say definitely try it...leucine is probably best bang for buck supp besides protein/ecdy, maybe even better then those its a tough call.Less protein in your shake=use less.
doolee

Post by doolee »

I'd have to ask Layne specifically if there is a benefit taking both Leucine and Protein in conjunction. He mentioned in his muscle protein synth study that only a certain amount of leucine (either by bcaa or protein digestion) was needed to spike a maximum amount of MPS. He has protein intake every 4-5 hours spaced with bcaas at the midpoint. Not sure how it would work stacking the two in the context of a workout. I've seen a study indicating that it is beneficial, though.
RobRegish

Re: Leucine

Post by RobRegish »

the_buffer wrote:More and more I'm hearing about the benefits of adding leucine to protein shakes, and Dr. Connelly also seems to feel very strongly on the idea. I've been using it with the formula, but should leucine be added to all "liquid meals"?
Oh, you're about to read a LOT more about Leucine, in 3.0.... :)

You think that's something?

Wait until Dr. Connelly gets here... :) :)
Big.jazayrli

Re: Leucine

Post by Big.jazayrli »

RobRegish wrote:
the_buffer wrote:More and more I'm hearing about the benefits of adding leucine to protein shakes, and Dr. Connelly also seems to feel very strongly on the idea. I've been using it with the formula, but should leucine be added to all "liquid meals"?
Oh, you're about to read a LOT more about Leucine, in 3.0.... :)

You think that's something?

Wait until Dr. Connelly gets here... :) :)
speaking of which, we haven't spoken of this in a while.

what's the word on his upcoming stuff?
seasoned

Post by seasoned »

There has been debate on HOW to take it, and how much, but Leucine is a BCAA, and considered THE most important. It is a limiting Amino Acid, so more leucine generally means that more of the other aminos can be used to build muscle. There has been debate over whether a constant supply is beneficial or not. some seem to think that your body reacts more to changes in the level.

Steve
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

seasoned wrote:There has been debate on HOW to take it, and how much, but Leucine is a BCAA, and considered THE most important. It is a limiting Amino Acid, so more leucine generally means that more of the other aminos can be used to build muscle. There has been debate over whether a constant supply is beneficial or not. some seem to think that your body reacts more to changes in the level.

Steve
Here's what "Mixelflick" had to say about it, when I asked him!!!

LEUCINE THRESHOLD AMOUNTS

5g if pure, bulk L-Leucine is used

3g if Leucine Nitrate

If not using straight Leucine, 20g of BCAA will suffice in meeting Leucine needs. That's what he said, anyway... :) :) :)

Hope that helps!!!
seasoned

Post by seasoned »

BCAAs aren't exactly composed of the same amounts of the various aminos. I think it IS a given that leucine will have the greatest quantity. It isn't a given as to how great it will be though.

Steve
vangkm007

Post by vangkm007 »

Hmmm...I've been using BCAAs regularly w/various amounts of Leucine (but always at recommended or higher) for about a year and a half now. I can't really say it's been the deciding factor in my progress as there have been a lot of new things added too (diet, the blueprint).

I do notice a definite increase in workout strength/endurance and recovery time. If I don't drink my BCAAs I notice it takes about 1 day longer for sore muscles to rebound. If I'm sipping throughout the workout and before/after I notice a huge decrease in soreness and recovery time.
seasoned

Post by seasoned »

vangkm007 wrote:Hmmm...I've been using BCAAs regularly w/various amounts of Leucine (but always at recommended or higher) for about a year and a half now. I can't really say it's been the deciding factor in my progress as there have been a lot of new things added too (diet, the blueprint).

I do notice a definite increase in workout strength/endurance and recovery time. If I don't drink my BCAAs I notice it takes about 1 day longer for sore muscles to rebound. If I'm sipping throughout the workout and before/after I notice a huge decrease in soreness and recovery time.
Well, according to at least one publication, if the level of leucine in your blood doesn't change much, you won't see much of a difference. But leucine is in a LOT of things, including any halfway decent protein. They would have to refine it out if they wanted to sell whey or casien protien without leucine. And meat has it, of course.

BTW leucine is supposed to be basically the amino that make valine and isoleucine work. So you can thank leucine for that. Oh yeah, those are the only aminos in the typical BCAA supplement. In fact, those 3 are the only ones called BCAAs.

BTW SOME BCAAs have decided to double, or more, the typical amount of leucine in their BCAAs!

Steve
doolee

Post by doolee »

Would just stick with 2:1:1 or 4:1:1 at most. Really doesn't matter too much. Just aim for 4g leucine total. I believe Rob mentioned this earlier.
seasoned

Post by seasoned »

doolee wrote:Would just stick with 2:1:1 or 4:1:1 at most. Really doesn't matter too much. Just aim for 4g leucine total. I believe Rob mentioned this earlier.
Actually, for pure leucine, he said 5G But for BCAAs, he said 20G which using the new old standard of 2:1:1, means 10G of leucine! 10+5+5=20

Steve
doolee

Post by doolee »

Am I missing something? Branch chains already are in a free form. so 5g pure leucine would be the same thing as 10g bcaa (2:1:1). ???