Karbolyn - usage?

Serious supplementation, focused on the MASS line at BodyBuildingSupplements.com
blanchdawg

Karbolyn - usage?

Post by blanchdawg »

Hey y'all,

Quick question - I just purchased Karbolyn for use intra/post workout. Can anyone give me some insight as to how they have used the product. I've read a number of different views on how to best use Karbolyn ranging from -
drinking it on the last set of your workout,

drinking it immediately after your workout and waiting 30 minutes to drink a protein supplement;

mixing it with a protein supplement immediately after the workout;

drinking the Karbolyn half-way through your workout and then drinking a protein shake immediately after your workout; etc.

I like some input on what has worked best for the Blueprint crew.

Thanks.
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

Rob has got me drinking this starting about 15 minutes preworkout and throughout my workout.

Mixed with High Quality Hydrolyzed Whey, some additional Luecine. I also add creatine mono to mine

I am sure he will PM with the best recommendations based on your goal.
blanchdawg

Post by blanchdawg »

Thanks Hank. What brand protein are you mixing in?
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

75g karbolyn with 1 serving mass pro whey start drinking 15 minutes before workout and sip through it, finish the last 1/3 after WO.
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

yup I'm on the same dosing as the other BPers chiming in.. start 15 min prior..sip in between sets.. finishn after with ECDY, mixed with some other certain "special" ingredents 8)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

bigpelo wrote:75g karbolyn with 1 serving mass pro whey start drinking 15 minutes before workout and sip through it, finish the last 1/3 after WO.
There you go right there.. both are components of "The Formula", among a half dozen other ingredients. The ratios are CRITICALLY important too.

Let's take a closer look now at those carbohydrates I'm speaking to: Pure Karbolyn vs. maltodextrin. Many of you are familiar with Maltodextrin due to its inclusion in weight gainers, MRP's and the like. It was and still is a staple for many supplement manufacturers in their offerings.

Up until just recently , carbohydrate powders haven't exactly set the world on fire, you know? They imparted modest improvements over whole foods. Such was the case with maltodextrin, usually derived from corn. After being isolated, its cut into a length somewhere between a simple sugar and a full starch. The shorter versions lend themselves better to drink mixes as they're more soluble and sweeter.

Prior to the early 1980's, maltodextrin really wasn't prevalent in our little world. The primary exposure you had to them was on the back of a postage stamp. They were used mostly as binders, fillers and glues. It was Mike Zumpano (of Underground Steroid Handbook fame) working first with the Weider group and later Unipro who came across a most interesting discovery; certain maltodextrins were a hybrid of both a starch and a sugar that lent themselves to the best qualities of both. This was a very significant finding...

When Unipro rolled out its Carboplex product it didn't just gain instant popularity in bodybuilding, but mainstream food preparations as well. At your local supermarket today you'll find it in all kinds of sports drinks, cocoa, baked goods and even baby food (maltodextrins of various sorts).

The chief problem with these products is twofold. First, you never know quite what length the starch has been cut to. They can be as short as 3 glucose molecules or as long as cornstarch. In fact, much of the waxy maize being sold is just that - pure cornstarch.

Second (and related) these anomolies can result in anything from a very quick rise in blood sugar to a very prolonged curve seen when testing one's blood sugar via glucometer (more on that later). You'll see a pretty strong dropoff in blood sugar after consuming most maltodextrins in the amount of 50g at the 2 hour mark. This isn't ideal for our purposes as the window of opportunity we seek to exploit is far shorter.

The real solution was the creation of a new class of soluble starches called amylopectins. These address the severe drop in blood sugar by selectively tailoring the lengths of said starches to optimize the time spent just prior to, during and immediately after the workout. For it is during this time that these genetically modified starches can have a drug like impact. Starting material is not just one type of starch, but two others. A mix of all 3 was found to best leverage its rapid and sustained mode of action.

These heavy molecular mass polysaccarides mix VERY easily in water, absorb much faster than sugars and don't bloat you. The end result is a largely complex carb, yet it is made up of many polysaccharides joined together by bonds. Molecular weights have been carefully tailored to ensure absorption is much faster than any other maltodextrin, waxy maize or whole food/juice alternative.

By virtue of a lightening quick gastric emptying rate, the amylopectins hit the blood stream quicker and are absorbed as glycogen and therafter work almost like an IV drip supplying even more energy to the body. Duchaine himself was onto this as long ago as the 1990's in his excellent tome "BodyOpus", stating "the ideal is a highly refined amylopectin preparation, not yet commercially available".

Well, Dan may be gone but he's likely looking down (or is it up?) smiling, knowing that they're now available.

So why again those carbohydrates at that time? Because they hold the key to unlocking XYZ's and ecdy's synergistic amplification of muscle growth. And, oh yes.... those carbs will bring friends along with them to the party. Namely, fast acting amino di and tri peptides (as found in MassPro) and other goodies we'll be including.

How's that for a sneak peak? I don't want to spoil all of 3.0 for you now, do I?

:)