BP Journal BrainSquirt

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Cycle 3 Phase 3 Day 3

Finished up the Feast Phase at 28 days. Even though I was only lifting 2 days a week, the strict structure of every 3 ½ days started running into a lot of scheduling conflicts with games and life, etc… been awfully busy

The careful/quality back(side) work I did this Feast will hopefully pay off. I put a lot of intention into slowing way down and working to bring increased awareness to the parts of my back I was working. All sessions were preceded by whole body joint mobility work – which is quite different from ‘warming up’ or ‘stretching out’.
https://extremehumanperformance.com/blog ... h-comment/
https://extremehumanperformance.com/blog/
(note: I do IntuFlow, not the ZHealth these links are talking about, but net net results of the two aren’t that different)
Was also very careful with post lift stretching but haven’t gotten into the compensatory post workout wing yet but am headed there. Also got 2 back alignments from chiro during the middle of the phase. Workouts in the Maintenance Phase will be literally maintenance of the new ‘balance’ that came with bulking up the back and continued self exploration of the way I’m doing what I do. “…people hide from their dysfunction through their choices of activities…” Charlie Weingroff, etc.

At the end of the Feast Phase I had gained 8 lbs. Given the modest goals I had going in and the fact that I ran and sweated off a huge amount throughout all but the first week and tapered down the calories near the end, that’s actually pretty good.

For the Maint Phase will be doing the isolated AAKG early AM, will continue developing liver support, and keep the testosterone from sliding off too much. Because of schedule will probably extend it to around 6 weeks. Most of the time will alternate push and pull workouts but several weeks may only be in weight room once a week – and if so will do medium weight whole body workouts instead of concentrating on specific muscle groups.

Rob, just wanted to take a moment to thank you for the posts about insulin, pre/during/post workout, etc. I will continue to research this… and will probably have some more questions.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Very interesting Brain. And congratulations on the great gains! 8lbs is another terrific accomplishment and proof positive you're refining each cycle. Great work..

Now, your mention of chiropractic was timely. I just got back from my first appointment in years.

In addition to X-rays, they ran a very interesting thermography report. Briefly, it measures (via temerature) how efficiently the nerves running off your spine conduct electrical impulses from your brain. This is HUGE. Why? Because the rate of muscle recruitment is directly correlated with the efficiency of the message from your brain down your spinal cord and finally, recruitment of the muscle. This has big, very big implications.

Scan revealed no less than 8 blockages. 4 in the neck and 5 in the back, almost dead center. They exist almost entirely on the left side. If I can normalize these then they could unlock the key to greater strength.

I would have NEVER guessed I had any in the neck. If anything, I'd have guessed lower back.

Brain, you may want to consider asking for this at your next chiro visit. I'm thinking if nothing else, it'll help guide your Intui-flow sessions/otherwise improved Blueprint results.

Highly recommended for Blueprint members. Provided I see improvement from these treatments, I'll note in a separate post.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Prep for up coming Fast Phase. Planning to run Fast from Oct 2 through Oct 9. Rob, I think I mentioned this a while back - The cycle after next I do want to gain a lot of weight and bulk (ie really push the limts) but for this upcoming cycle I do not want to lose a lot of weight in the Fast or gain a lot of weight in the Feast Phase. Got any tweaks / suggestions?

Hi Brain -

Nice hearing from you and glad to hear you're having success! Now, as to your question/goals and how to achieve them in the upcoming cycle.

Not losing too much in the Famine can be accomplished by keeping calories higher, BW x 10-11 vs. BW x 8. You'll still want to keep protein levels low. As far as the training, consider reversing the rest intervals suggested in the 3 day template. That is, instead of progressively decreasing rest periods as Famine progresses, start with the 1 min intervals and finish up with 3+ minutes toward the end. This should result in keeping more muscle on while still delivering the stress response we're trying to achieve.

As far as the Feast, you want to select a loading pattern that is more strength oriented vs. size. The Russian Peaking Program is ideal for this purpose. Secondly, calories should probably be loaded early at BW x 15 first 2 weeks and then progressively lowered to BW x 10 the last 2 weeks. This will ensure enough cals up front to ensure nice transition from Fast while not putting on too much toward the end, where the CNS peaks from the training program.

Lastly, stay away from Kre-Anabolyn during this phase if not wanting to put on weight. A better choice would be Adaptogen N or the soon to be release NEW MASS product John is alluding to in the supp section. Without spilling the beans, this product will do a nice job of "putting back" cellular energy substrates Kre-Anabolyn does without resulting in excessive muscle mass via radically increased protein synthesis.

It is very sharp and will be a category killer. Sorry to be cryptic but I have to respect the formulator :). A nice mix of neuro enhancement, replenishing adaptogens and cellular energy nutrients. It's application is broad but ideally suited to the goals you're outlining here.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Admin Note
Rob, it looks like your posts are editting my posts instead of adding a post from you. Maybe something messed up with Quote (or a Quote by a moderator) Thanks
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

BrainSquirt wrote:Admin Note
Rob, it looks like your posts are editting my posts instead of adding a post from you. Maybe something messed up with Quote (or a Quote by a moderator) Thanks
Yeah, I noticed that too Brain. Might be me though, I'm not Mr. computer savvy :)
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Cycle 4 Phase 1 Day 1
OK here goes. Rob thanks for the pointers – really helps keep me from over thinking stuff.
Running the fast for 7 days with the 1st four days a progressive transition in and then 3 days of deprivation and overtraining, etc.

Rob, on the overwrite issue are you doing "Quote" or "Add reply" ?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

BrainSquirt wrote:Cycle 4 Phase 1 Day 1
OK here goes. Rob thanks for the pointers – really helps keep me from over thinking stuff.
Running the fast for 7 days with the 1st four days a progressive transition in and then 3 days of deprivation and overtraining, etc.

Rob, on the overwrite issue are you doing "Quote" or "Add reply" ?
Think I used the "quote" button as I'm doing here..
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Well, that looks like it worked OK.

Anyway, appreciate your updates Brain.

I must say, I enjoy your "tinkering" with Blueprint's format. You've contributed a LOT to our collective findings, especially with regard to my thinking on the 3 workout Famine format/making the transition to Feast easier for people.

Please keep us posted on your 4th run!!
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Cycle 4 Phase 1 Day 6

A lot of circumstances have combined and I simply haven’t made the time to log this fast phase. OK I admit it – I’m feeling it now so now I’m going to start moaning about it :twisted:
To catch up – doing 8 days instead of 7, decreased calories by 5 % daily instead of 10%. Have done pretty low protein thoughout the fast and will go to none after preworkout “dinner” tonight. As an experiment, am concentrating on the ‘catabolic’ foods listed in BP this fast phase. Does anyone have a complete list of the ‘catabolic and anabolic foods’ they could post so I could have a little bit more seasonal choices? thx

Workouts – did a fairly long but light work out on Sat, long hi rep workout Mon then sweaty running. Will overtrain again tonight plus run and go to bed hungry and thirsty. Tomorrow eat almost nothing and dehydrate more, sweat again tomorrow night, and start rehydrating again Friday. Should ‘be there’ sometime Friday and will break the fast Sat AM . As planned, have not put very much of my performance edge at risk during this phase, while attempting to go for a concentrated, but sufficient, burnout at the end. Also, haven't checked, but I think I'm losing more weight than I planned...

To prevent large weight gain, will not do as many carbs early in the Feast phase. Instead will accentuate quality protein (and alkalying balancers). Will also pile on the KA and AN early to help ensure that too much of my performance edge is lost from the fast phase.

Planning to focus on arms and chest (bench), but need to put off the slow, heavy protocol for the first ten days – ie may do two protocols in the phase like Rob did ( only hopefully not out of necessity)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Does anyone have a complete list of the ‘catabolic and anabolic foods’ they could post so I could have a little bit more seasonal choices? thx

Let me work on that for you Brain. I do detail a good list of catabolic foods in the course but not sure which are seasonal right now. As far as the anabolic foods in this phase, if not wanting to go with too many carbs your other option is fats to keep the calories up. Heavy cream or half and half will go a long way toward hitting the calorie goals of the feast. Alternatively, natural peanut butter is another good choice. I'll get to work..
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Cycle 4 Phase 1 Day 7

Not sure what to make of this but this morning have been on a fast cycle oscillation between feeling great and feeling exhausted physically and mentally. Also, an alternation between feeling really hungry and not hungry is down to as low as 15 minutes. The only difference from normal I can think of is that I got started too late last night on workout and so I had trouble falling asleep.

Craving a steak...maybe Monday :(
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yeah Brain, that is weird. I've noticed that in your feedback prior too. Can't say as I've heard of that before. Let me investigate that a bit further. I would speculate it goes back to catecholmine release due to the fasting.... short lived until the body realizes there may be an extended peiod forthcoming of not having enough food coming in.

The in-season catabolic food list is a tough find. I'm still working on it though.

I see you're almost done with the famine. Can you provide cliff notes when you're done? Always appreciate your observations..

Thanks Brain!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Expanded list of catabolic foods:

Apples (best when eaten raw) ... apricots (best when eaten raw)... artichokes, ... asparagus (best when eaten cooked) ... beets ... beet greens (best when eaten cooked) ... blackberries (best when eaten raw) ... blueberries (best when eaten raw) ... broccoli (best when eaten cooked) ... brussels sprouts ... cabbage - white (best when eaten raw) ... cabbage - red (best when eaten cooked) ... cantaloupe (best when eaten raw) ... carrots (best when eaten raw) ... carrot tops (best when eaten cooked) ... cauliflower (best when eaten cooked) ... celeriac (a vegetable best when eaten cooked) ... celery (best when eaten raw) ... chard (best when eaten cooked) ... cherries (best when eaten raw) ... chervil (a vegetable best when eaten cooked) ... chicory (best when eaten cooked) ... Chinese cabbage ... chives (best when eaten raw) ... clams (cooked) ... cod steaks ... collards (best when eaten cooked) ... corn ... crabs ... cranberries (best when eaten raw) ... cucumbers (best when eaten raw) ... currants ... damson plums ... dandelion greens (best when eaten raw) ... dill pickle ... eggplant (best when eaten cooked) ... endive (best when eaten raw) ... flounder (sea food) ... frog legs ... fruit salads ... garlic ... grapefruit (best when eaten raw) ... grapes (best when eaten raw) ... green beans ... honeydew ... huckleberries ... kale (best when eaten cooked) ... kohlrabi (best when eaten cooked) ... kumquats (fruit) ... leeks (best when eaten raw) ... lemons (best when eaten raw) ... letuce(best when eaten raw) ... limes (best when eaten raw) ... lobster ... loganberries ... mangoes ... mushrooms (best when eaten cooked) ... muskmelons (best when eaten raw) ... mussels (sea food) ... mustard greens ... nectarines ... okra (vegetable) ... onions (best when eaten raw) ... oranges (best when eaten raw) ... oyster plant (best when eaten cooked) ... papaya ... parsley leaves (best when eaten raw) ... parsnips (best when eaten cooked) ... peaches (best when eaten raw) ... pears (best when eaten raw) ... pineapple (best when eaten raw) ... peas ... peppers (red & green - best when eaten raw) ... pickles ... pineapple (best when eaten raw) ... plums (best when eaten raw) ... pomegranates ... prunes (best when eaten raw) ... pumpkin (best when eaten cooked) ... quince (a fruit) ... radishes (best when eaten raw) ... raspberries (best when eaten raw) ... red cabbage ... rhubarb (best when eaten cooked) ... salsify (vegetable) ... sauerkraut (best when eaten raw) ... scallions, sea bass ( fish) ... shrimp ... sorrel (a vegetable best when eaten cooked) ... spinach (best when eaten cooked) ... squash (best when eaten cooked) ... strawberries (best when eaten raw) ... string beans (best when eaten cooked) ... tangerines (best when eaten raw) ... terrapin (sea food) ... tomato (best when eaten raw) ... turnips (best when eaten cooked) ... watercress (best when eaten raw) ... watermelon (best when eaten raw) ... wax beans (best when eaten cooked).

You'll notice a theme here... many are best when eaten raw.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

List of anabolic foods:

Rump Steak
Sweet Potato
Asparagus (due to alkalyzing properties)
Raisins (see above)
Herring (due to high creatine content)
Raw Milk
Heavy Cream
Half n' Half
Beans
Barley
Brown Rice
Olives
Honey
Natural peanut butter

A mixed meal of any of the above is a fantastic way to really pile it on. I like to end my day during Feast phases with one of these meals, based around red meat. If you can work another into the day around lunch time, all the better. Real food for the win..