My journey to Beast Mode

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
jjones11

Post by jjones11 »

Had my lower body de-load workout of GLP 1 tonight. Was very slow to startt. Almost walked out of the gym, but I am very very pleased that I stuck around for this workout. You'll soon see why :D .

Workout
Box Squat
125x10
195x6
210x4
RDL
135x10
225x5
275x3
300x1 PR
315x1 PR
Heavy calves
Heavy abs

Notes: I've been running alot as of late. That is the reason behind my lackluster performance on squats. I ran after my upper body deload and then once more in between today and then. Legs were sore going in there tonight. Just wanted to get done with my deload so I can get geared up for max day. I'm a little upset but I feel I made up for it with my deadlifts. It may seem pathetic, but I was after that 315 deadlift all last year. Not bad progress going from 185 last march to 315 now. If you remember correctly, that 315 was my goal for this run. I still have 3 more loading patterns to go through
:shock: . Even with my performance on squats tonight, I am very very confident that I can get my max that's projected in my loading pattern. Why am I so confident? The stars are aligned. The way that my schedule is set-up, my lower body max day falls smack dab on my birthday 8) .
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

PR's... LOVE 'em..

Why?

Because I'm happy, when YOU'RE happy!!! :)
jjones11

Post by jjones11 »

Just tried my upper body max day of GLP 1 tonight. Didn't do too hot. As a matter of fact I'm pretty heated right now. This is pretty much how it went.

Workout
Bench Press
100x10
125x5
150x3
165x1
185x1
205x1 FAILED
200x1 FAILED

Notes: Attempted my EDT's but even those went horrible. I did a few supersets of dips and chin-ups, then a couple sets of shrugs and after those weren't going the way I wanted them too, I hopped on the treadmill. Truth is, I could type out every excuse I could think of, but even that won't change the fact that I missed my reps. I was just dragging tonight, everything felt so heavy. Just an off day I guess. Shouldn't have gone I was so tired. I want to just put this in my rearview and move onto my lower body max day, and attempt this again my next upper body day. I just wasn't good mentally, or physically today.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

jjones11 wrote:Just tried my upper body max day of GLP 1 tonight. Didn't do too hot. As a matter of fact I'm pretty heated right now. This is pretty much how it went.

Workout
Bench Press
100x10
125x5
150x3
165x1
185x1
205x1 FAILED
200x1 FAILED

Notes: Attempted my EDT's but even those went horrible. I did a few supersets of dips and chin-ups, then a couple sets of shrugs and after those weren't going the way I wanted them too, I hopped on the treadmill. Truth is, I could type out every excuse I could think of, but even that won't change the fact that I missed my reps. I was just dragging tonight, everything felt so heavy. Just an off day I guess. Shouldn't have gone I was so tired. I want to just put this in my rearview and move onto my lower body max day, and attempt this again my next upper body day. I just wasn't good mentally, or physically today.
OK, a couple of thoughts:

First, your jumps from set to set were spot on - you didn't make too big a jump. Good work! Next, how much rest did you take between those last 3 sets? I ask because I almost always find that taking an additional 5 minutes tacked onto your usual say, 5 min in between sets is the fix!!

The CNS recovers FAR slower than the glycogen/ATP substrate pathway. That takes about 3 min. For CNS it can take 15 min or longer! Last workout I did like this I failed on my last set. Then waiting 20 min. You read that right.....20 min of psyching myself up to walk out of there with what I needed: a new PR!

Finally, I'd like you to take 2-3 days off and go after it again!!! Every day during these 2-3 days off I want you to practice visualizing your 1RM not for a single, but for a triple! At least one of these visualization sessions should come prior to bed, allowing it to build into your subconscience.

What the mind conceives... the body will ahieve!!

If willing to entertain the unthinkable, consider accidentally cutting yourself. The sight of blood is a well known "trigger" in the human race that releases endorphins and a CNS response like no other. Drastic? For sure. But ole' Mix has used it and tells me it's never failed him!!

I'm betting that this time.... you'll be a much, much happier man.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

RobRegish wrote:
jjones11 wrote:Just tried my upper body max day of GLP 1 tonight. Didn't do too hot. As a matter of fact I'm pretty heated right now. This is pretty much how it went.

Workout
Bench Press
100x10
125x5
150x3
165x1
185x1
205x1 FAILED
200x1 FAILED

OK, a couple of thoughts: It was all PR's up until this point so time to deliver the fix :)

First, your jumps on the last two sets were too much - you made too big a jump. Easy enough fix. Next, how much rest did you take between those last 3 sets? I ask because I almost always find that taking an additional 5 minutes tacked onto your usual say, 5 min in between sets is the fix!!

The CNS recovers FAR slower than the glycogen/ATP substrate pathway. That takes about 3 min. For CNS it can take 15 min or longer! Last workout I did like this I failed on my last set. Then waiting 20 min. You read that right.....20 min of psyching myself up to walk out of there with what I needed: a new PR!

Finally, I'd like you to take 2-3 days off and go after it again!!! Every day during these 2-3 days off I want you to practice visualizing your 1RM not for a single, but for a triple! At least one of these visualization sessions should come prior to bed, allowing it to build into your subconscience.

What the mind conceives... the body will ahieve!!

If willing to entertain the unthinkable, consider accidentally cutting yourself. The sight of blood is a well known "trigger" in the human race that releases endorphins and a CNS response like no other. Drastic? For sure. But ole' Mix has used it and tells me it's never failed him!!

I'm betting that this time.... you'll be a much, much happier man.
jjones11

Post by jjones11 »

I took around 3-5 minutes, in between my last 3 sets. Also, my sleep has been off. Going to up my cals to about 3-3.2k these next couple of days. Going to work on envisioning myself moving that weight. It worked last time, but I didn't practice it this week. I know I can do it, but last night was just not the night I assume.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

jjones11 wrote:I took around 3-5 minutes, in between my last 3 sets. Also, my sleep has been off. Going to up my cals to about 3-3.2k these next couple of days. Going to work on envisioning myself moving that weight. It worked last time, but I didn't practice it this week. I know I can do it, but last night was just not the night I assume.
There you go right there..

1.) Take extra rest days
2.) Use visualization during this time
3.) UP the rest between those heavy sets to 10 min, no less..

Can't wait man. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.. :)
jjones11

Post by jjones11 »

Alright, I think my suspicions have been answered. Being sick last week really really messed me over. I think I need you to PM me those bridge workouts Rob. Forgot my paper so I didn't have my pyramids right, but I played it conservative.

Workout
Box Squat
125x5
155x5
185x3
225x2
255x1
275x1 FAILED
RDL
135x8
225x5
EDT-96 reps in 11 mins
Leg Extension-225lbs
Leg Curls-90lbs

8 mins of LISS cardio.

Notes: Definitely not a fun thing to have happen on my birthday :( . But I think if I can get back on track we'll be good to go here. Also, after I finish my GLP, should I keep running through the whole periodic, or would I be better off scratching this run, and running the periodic on my next one?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Keep running the periodic but I noticed one thing..

255x1
275x1 FAILED

That's a big jump. Did the loading pattern call for this? In any case.. I'd rest up 2-3 days and give that another run. This time with a full 10 min between sets and a less aggressive jump.

I'm betting you'll walk out of there a LOT happier. Either way... keep playing offense!!
jjones11

Post by jjones11 »

Yeah, I forgot my paper with all of my weights on it... So I just ball parked it.
jjones11

Post by jjones11 »

Alright, got everything I need for "The Formula" today. Excited to add this to my arsenal as well :D .

So, just go in there, and kill my max day? Don't backtrack 3 or 4 workouts to get my strength back to where it needs to be? I apologize for beating a dead horse here, but I just don't want to potentially hurt myself, or anything heh.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yes, it would be best to get a baseline reading to ensure you're where you need to be.

Difficult for me to discern how far back this put you. You have a FAR better idea than me so I'll leave that up to you. If it was me... I'd play it conservative and proceed with the baseline workout to know for certain.

Hope that helps!!
jjones11

Post by jjones11 »

You've never steered me wrong Rob, and that streak continues!!

Workout
100x10
125x6
150x3
165x1
185x1
205x1 PR
EDT 1- 60 reps in 13 min
Dips- BW+25lbs
Chin-ups-BW
EDT 2- 90 reps in 11 min
DB Side Laterals- 25lbs
DB Shrugs- 85 lbs

Notes: Good good workout. Finally got that "in the zone" feeling back. Still not 100%, but I got my PR and I'm very excited about that. Still didn't get to use "The Formula" just yet, and forgot my paper with my numbers on it once again. Did not hinder me though :)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

And there we go... :)

So happy it all worked out for you man. FANTASTIC work!!!