BP Journal BrainSquirt

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

BrainSquirt wrote:Phase 1 Cycle 2 Day 7 Tue Jun 2, 09
Diet: AM Water and juice only. PM Water Dinner: Did a fresh juice fest with a lot of fresh greens and parsley and only a couple of carrots with brain foods.
Workout: No workout. Worked in the garden about 30 minutes just before dark

I’m starved to death and tired of drinking water everytime I feel hungry. Feast tomorrow!
Did an official weigh in at wakeup this morning and I have lost 5.5 lbs this week! I was shocked.
CNS still holding up much better than last time.

re extending the fast. I had an idea that ‘warm weather’ Famines should be gradual and longer, with a little more emphasis on cleansing and the ‘cold weather’ Famines more intense, traumatic, and quick. Any thoughts?
Good to hear and very consistent with the amount of weight dropped in a well done famine. If you'll notice in my journal, I cite a 1lb/day loss or thereabouts.

Could be something to your hot/cold weather theories. My personal feeling though is that waking heart rate, protein excretion via Multistix etc are better objective measures. Give it a shot and let us know if it works for you. It may indeed, yield different results that show up in the objective measurements I mentioned.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Phase 2 Cycle 2 Day 9 06/11/09 (catching up, been awfully busy)
Diet: Had a better handle on transitioning to feast phase this time. The big exception this Phase is that I have been eating bags (literally) of fresh greens and spinach from the garden. It’s seasonal and they will bolt / go to seed and get bitter soon but for now I’m eating the heck out of them. Rob, you mentioned in your journal about difficulty staying alkaline – hopefully these greens will ameliorate that for me.
Am doing 3 KA on workout and sports days and 2 on off days. Doing AdapogenN on nights after workouts and sports. Limited creatine. Skipping the BCCA cycling this time- mostly to establish some personal baselines, etc.
Workouts: Switched to a leg focus this round. Too much pain in left elbow and shoulders to ignore. Am exploring some options for these issues. Does anyone up here have any experience with ZHealth or IntuFlow? Thanks. Still working upper body some but with extremely slow work to stay on 'this side' of the pain…

Have almost gained the 5 lbs back that I lost in Famine. It’s summer and I have been kinda getting sick of overeating the last couple of days. Extra strong finishes to sets this last Tueday evening was surprising. It was tempting to schedule much heavier but I’m going to hold off and look to peak in 2 -3 weeks. Every workout so far it has just logistically worked out best to do the stretching about 30 minutes later. Hope that’s not deleterious …
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

BrainSquirt wrote:Phase 2 Cycle 2 Day 9 06/11/09 (catching up, been awfully busy)
Diet: Had a better handle on transitioning to feast phase this time. The big exception this Phase is that I have been eating bags (literally) of fresh greens and spinach from the garden. It’s seasonal and they will bolt / go to seed and get bitter soon but for now I’m eating the heck out of them. Rob, you mentioned in your journal about difficulty staying alkaline – hopefully these greens will ameliorate that for me.
Am doing 3 KA on workout and sports days and 2 on off days. Doing AdapogenN on nights after workouts and sports. Limited creatine. Skipping the BCCA cycling this time- mostly to establish some personal baselines, etc.
Workouts: Switched to a leg focus this round. Too much pain in left elbow and shoulders to ignore. Am exploring some options for these issues. Does anyone up here have any experience with ZHealth or IntuFlow? Thanks. Still working upper body some but with extremely slow work to stay on 'this side' of the pain…

Have almost gained the 5 lbs back that I lost in Famine. It’s summer and I have been kinda getting sick of overeating the last couple of days. Extra strong finishes to sets this last Tueday evening was surprising. It was tempting to schedule much heavier but I’m going to hold off and look to peak in 2 -3 weeks. Every workout so far it has just logistically worked out best to do the stretching about 30 minutes later. Hope that’s not deleterious …
Good to hear Brain. Glad you transitioned to Feast easier this time around. I'm not familiar with Zhealth or IntuFlow but will research them now for you and offer my opinion. As far as elbows/shoulders the best advice I can offer is sled dragging. Honestly, this seemingly simple activity helped quite a bit. You are smart to focus on legs though, and I've found some of my greatest discoveries (training wise) were when I was forced to focus on different muscle groups while working around similar injuries. Ditto on the super-slow movements for upper body (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to). John can probably offer some insight there as I know he's had considerable success with it. The nearly 5lb gain in 9 days is impressive, especially sans creatine (Kre-Alkalyn doesn't deliver the watery/bloat gains monohydrate does).

On the shoulders/elbows allow me to offer the following (granted, it's radical)... DMSO gel with curcumin. Yes, you'll smell but who cares? We're talking injury prevention here :) For acute pain relief I'd subsitute a crushed Aleve tablet or two in place of the curcumin.

Both curcumin (mw = 386) and naproxin sodium (mw = 252) have molecular weights well under 500. As such, they will pass readily through the skin and be taken directly to the site of injury.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OK Brain I've looked at both and here are my thoughts..

Both seem reasonably priced and may be beneficial. I am admittedly intrigued (probably because I'm getting old :roll:

Anyway, of the two I'd opt for Z-health. I say this because from what little I've read, it seems to target the nervous system. Obviously, this has big implications for The Blueprint and your 1RM/strength progressions. If you decide to give it a go please let us know how it works out for you. It may indeed be a useful new tool to incorporate into The Blueprint.

As an aside, I think the supp industry missed the boat when it comes to focusing on neural facilitators. If you'll recall, EAS kicked things off with Neurogain. While it was a somewhat flawed product, I believe the premise was valid. You saw some traction thereafter but honestly, ephedrine did things better/cheaper. In recent years, nootropics evolved as the logical extension of this supp category but the focus has gotten lost, IMO. Meaning, the objective of sharpening up the nervous system for bigger lifts got lost in the memory/brain nutrient/recall improvement shuffle (not that these aren't important).

Look for this category of products to take off in coming years due to the unfair advantage they convey in academics. They will be controversial and the best research/products currently come out of Europe. Once the U.S. market gets in gear with demand there will be an explosion in this category.

It is only a matter of time before lifters put 2 and 2 together..
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Rob, Thanks very much for the DMSO and curcumin tip. I rarely, if ever, use pain drug (otcs or ‘scripts) so this is a good option.

re: ZHealth and IntuFlow. The best comparison I’ve gotten so far is
"Z-health is neurologically-focused involving contact manipulation from a trainer since it derives from applied kinesiology [not entirely accurate – brackets mine]. Intu-Flow® is myofascially-focused, exclusively self-practice, since it derives from applied biotensegrity. " (Scott Sonnen) .
For me, so far, the ZHealth model / theory is more valuable. Like you say it focuses on the CNS (and mapping) for performance (and strength ‘release’) . But, it also appears the IntuFlow exercises/practices are more technically comprehensive and ultimately get at the same thing… I’m planning to get RPhase dvd from robertKaufer.com (instead of Mike Nelson bcse Kaufer will provide more support) and the complete IntuFlow set from RMAX international and see where they lead… basically it’s an alternative to ‘golgi luck’ and a possible way to release some ‘packing’ patterns I’ve carried since childhood (shoulders, hips, knees, elbows, etc). Will keep you posted on anything significant with these processes.

I also may restrict this upcoming Phase 3 to ‘body weight’ ‘lifting’ only. Can I do a one handed hand stand? Hell no. Can I do a one handed pullup? Hell no. Can I still do a kip up? Freaking scared to try… no telling what I ‘d tear up... :wink:
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Cycle 2 Phase 2 debrief...

This Feast Phase I only gained back the weight I lost in the Famine Phase plus about a half a pound. I attribute that to two things
1. Because of elbow injury, I focused on legs so upper body didn’t put back on much new muscle weight and
2 I transitioned into feasting heavily but after about 10 days I’d had enough food. The first day of the slightest bit of indigestion, I decided it’s summer and not good for my long term health to be packing it in when it’s more appropriate for me to be fast and fit in summer so I started only seriously over eating the day of and the day after twice weekly workouts and also (as Rob mentioned) tapered down into the end of the Phase.

Workouts. Didn’t precisely follow the German protocol, but closely approximated it. Was trying to peak on cue at the end, but actually peaked early. Fortunately after the peak I just plateued instead of seriously rolling over. Was amazed at some of the last few reps of sets this phase – “very difficult, but mysteriously, easy at the same time” is about the only way I can describe it. Didn’t get the hang of the leg stretches until late in the cycle. Stretching in general is one of the areas that I need significant improvement in knowledge of techniques, and practice at, etc. If it’s right at the time, during the next Feast Phase I plan to come in with a much more structured protocol and include preparation / training for much more effective stretching. We live and learn…

Supplements and diet: KreAnabolyn: Minimum was one before and one after workout or sports as recommended lately. Generally did 3-4 KA on workout and sports days and next day after and 2-3 on rest / non workout days. To be honest, I could not make any differentiation between the old and new KA, but don’t have much of a previous baseline with it – subjective or objective. Did way less KreAlkalyn this phase and also did not do the heavy BCAA 3 on 3 off cycle. Did AdaptagenN on workout and sports nights and any nights I knew I needed a little extra recovery help. Did piles and piles of fresh greens this phase. Lot’s of lean red meat early in the Phase. Heavy carbs early in the Phase - a few too many I think. Gradually increased high quality EFA’s across the Phase. Heavy whey throughout. Heavy water throughout and cut way back on the juices in water for flavoring this time.

… I’m forgetting a few things – will do an addendum when they come to me.

btw, Just finished reading the book Consistent Winning, by Sandler and Lobstein, about Fibonnaci based timing in training. Very interesting stuff ( even if one doesn’t care for Elliott wave analysis ). Well worth as low as $3 used on Amazon or Alibris. Not sure how to connect it to BluePrint yet. Have any of you read it?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Hi Brain,

Sorry to hear it but a few observations:

- Was likely largely a function of lowered calories
- You're still finding your ideal loading pattern in the Feast

You did score 2 big wins: Structuring a better/more efficient Famine Phase and learning how to transition easier into the Feast. It's just the second half we have to get nailed down now.

Haven't read the book referenced but I'm intrigued about the whole Fibonacci spiral/tree of life thing. Can't say as I see the connection to training but that would be a trip!
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Rob, Thanks. re “Sorry to hear” Not quite sure what you’re sorry about. Except for ‘resting’ the upper body these have been very productive phases – especially in learning how to modulate and stay in synch. Legs responded beautifully. Just completed great next to last workout last night and am looking forward to the final one on Friday. Upper pecs caved in a little bit from what I would like but considering the low tonnage I did this whole month with upper body, my chest, arms, back, core are in pretty good shape. Could have piled more muscle pounds on but chose not to. Except for one day, I ate more than 100% average calories. All in all, got huge gains in learning how to leverage BluePrint. Am optimistic about tuning my 'ideal loading pattern' next Feast phase.

For Phase 3 diet this time, I plan to go high quality but do sub 100% total food intake – because it’s summer. No where near a fast though… :) During Phase 3 will work some on keeping testosterone levels up - not extreme, just up a little. Also as we discussed a little bit before, am planning to do AKG up until a day or so before next Fast phase...

re: “about the whole Fibonacci spiral/tree of life thing. Can't say as I see the connection to training” I’m beginning to see how BluePrint’s timetable is a training optimized adaptation of the same principles.

Will not be online much for next couple of weeks Dovetailing vacation with Maintenance phase 8) . All the best.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Hi Brain,

Yes, my bad. I was benchmarking my personal goals each cycle vs. yours which was wrong. As you pointed out, great gains in many, many other areas. Here was the key phrase:

"Could have piled more muscle pounds on but chose not to. All in all, got huge gains in learning how to leverage BluePrint"

I said in the course how the Blueprint puts you in control of your physiology. You couldn't have made the point any better...

Very happy for you there. Very happy!!
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Just back from a great vacation. Have only been in weight room once a week last two weeks. Elbow is gradually healing and on track to be ready for heavy work come next feast phase. Will probably extend this maintenance phase a few extra days just to make sure. Continued to gain weight first week of Maintenance Phase but have watched my diet pretty well (except for a couple splurges) and from mostly sweating and playing, weight is back down to where I started Maintenance Phase.

Rob thanks for your last comments. My plan is to keep learning, practicing, and tuning BluePrint cycles through the summer and early fall, then really turn on a cycle and go for a 12 -16 pound gain in upper body. Still need to work on quality, actually compatibility, issues with the carbohydrate loadings; experiment a little with raw dairy and dairy surges; and dial in combining those with the BP supplements and cycling, protein surges, and best personal lifting protocols and schedules

Update on my take of the Sonnon’s RMAX and Cobb’s ZHealth stuff - btwn those two, Scott Sonnon is ‘the man’. https://www.rmaxinternational.com/flowcoach/ As the info and chronology comes in, it’s becoming obvious that ZHealth would not even exist had Eric Cobb not trained with Sonnon. That said, I am still keeping my commitment and doing the ZHealth RPhase exercises almost daily for three months. But, after that, unless someone can convince me that the S and I Phases somehow trump Sonnon’s work, I will then transition to RMAX training – especially the processes specializing in the only area of my fitness that is still being neglected - myofascial work…
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

BrainSquirt wrote:Just back from a great vacation. Have only been in weight room once a week last two weeks. Elbow is gradually healing and on track to be ready for heavy work come next feast phase. Will probably extend this maintenance phase a few extra days just to make sure. Continued to gain weight first week of Maintenance Phase but have watched my diet pretty well (except for a couple splurges) and from mostly sweating and playing, weight is back down to where I started Maintenance Phase.

Rob thanks for your last comments. My plan is to keep learning, practicing, and tuning BluePrint cycles through the summer and early fall, then really turn on a cycle and go for a 12 -16 pound gain in upper body. Still need to work on quality, actually compatibility, issues with the carbohydrate loadings; experiment a little with raw dairy and dairy surges; and dial in combining those with the BP supplements and cycling, protein surges, and best personal lifting protocols and schedules

Update on my take of the Sonnon’s RMAX and Cobb’s ZHealth stuff - btwn those two, Scott Sonnon is ‘the man’. https://www.rmaxinternational.com/flowcoach/ As the info and chronology comes in, it’s becoming obvious that ZHealth would not even exist had Eric Cobb not trained with Sonnon. That said, I am still keeping my commitment and doing the ZHealth RPhase exercises almost daily for three months. But, after that, unless someone can convince me that the S and I Phases somehow trump Sonnon’s work, I will then transition to RMAX training – especially the processes specializing in the only area of my fitness that is still being neglected - myofascial work…
Glad to have you back Brain. And very happy to hear the elbow is coming along. Your comment about continuing to gain weight during the maintenance phase is VERY common. And by that I mean muscle still coming on, not fat. Nevertheless, you seem to have you priorities in order and getting ready to start another Blueprint Run.

Still reading through the RMAX stuff. Can you summarize this stuff in 2-3 sentences for me? Having difficulty putting it all together and need a starting point. The myofascial work does intrigue me, as it has direct application to stretch position movements under load, in my opinion.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Rob,

re: RMAX. Specific to myofascial work, my understanding (to date) is that the Dynamic Joint work (Intu-Flow, etc) is inner bag focused, the ‘hard’ Yoga (Prasara, FlowFit, etc) is outer bag focused, and the Clubbell athletics integrates both inner and outer bags. These three combined are labeled Circular Strength Training.

In my own personal experience, nothing beats heavy lifting for feeling good, balancing hormones, etc. But at the same time, I can not deny that I have trigger points (painful areas) that detract from both the actual ‘strength’ potential and the enjoyment. So I am researching ways of restoring full function to these areas and prevent development of further restrictions, etc. From an RMAX post “Technically, a trigger point is a fascial distortion that has a specific referral pattern. This referral pattern could be as simple as pain down a fascial meridian or it could be as complex as a reactive pattern causing neuromuscular inhibition…There is a model for properly addressing trigger points, and the tenants of Prasara honor that model. First is the application of ischemic pressure. This helps change the pressure of the fluids within the tissue. Second is the strengthening of the tissue. Attention should be paid to three aspects of muscle action: concentric, isometric and eccentric. The third and last stage is tissue lengthening. This is the mobility phase.”

I tend to dig into things at the ‘unconscious’ level a bit, so these explorations have opened some inner threads on Sensory Motor Amnesia, residual muscle tension, tolerance for stress, fear reactivity, etc and the binding of flow in all areas of life… we are all athletes at some level. Haven’t really applied much of this stuff yet. … but, for example, in my BP cycles, I could see utilizing something like https://www.rmaxinternational.com/forum/ ... hp?t=12847 to get to the ‘exhaustions’ in the Famine phase, etc.

Hope these 2 - 3 'sentences' :? help. Will keep you posted.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Wow. That's some heavy stuff.

I'd think the outer bag focus would be where to invest the time, but can appreciate the other aspects of the program.

Way back in the 1980's John Parillo advocated fascia stretching as a means of improving growth. He also advocated extremely high calorie diets and predicted the 300lb, ripped pro bodybuilder.

As we all know, the latter did come to pass. I do believe in fascial stretching and as you know, advocate loaded stretch movements in certain phases of the Blueprint. It's worth noting though, that I did so given the research I found that it activates the same growth pathway that ecdysterones take advantage of.

I'm going to keep reading here because it may very well have application in my case and of course, other Blueprint customers. Brain, another great contribution. Really happy to have you back!
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Cycle 2 Phase 3 Day 28
Closing this Maintenance Phase notes
Nitro AKG, first thing AM with a super sized glass of water seemed to work out great this cycle. Will definitely try it again next Maint phase. The cool summer has allowed the greens to stay around longer so I continued to shovel those in on almost a daily basis.

Also did a lot of liver support this phase. Even though KA and BP certainly don’t strain the liver like steroids cycles do, the body still accomplishes some of the same things that a steroid cycle does. The steroid boys are learning to support liver post cycle so I figure it can’t hurt.

Legs are still looking great from last Feast. Have been doing a lot of sprinting which is also a great upper body sculptor…

Have just tried to enjoy lifting workouts this phase instead of trying to ‘accomplish’ something. My wife is trying to lose that “just 7 more pounds” and I counseled her to include heavy lifting to tweak the metabolism(and for her bones too, etc.) She didn’t want to join a club so we started building a home gym. Got some used Olympic bars and plates for about a third retail, a great adjustable bench, looking for a good power rack with pullies, and will go from there. So far she’s pushing once a week and pulling once a week. Should I introduce her to BP? :shock:

Rob, re “fascia stretching as a means of improving growth” My emphasis is on “washing” myofascia / recovering from and preventing myofascia adhesions and blockages. I don't know but I suspect Parillo’s model for fascia stretching tore up more than it fixed…