Intro

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

RobRegish wrote: That new muscle will add to your metabolic rate too, burning more calories even at rest.
So so true. I try to explain this to women trying to loose BF below the waist but are afraid to do heavy leg work. I hear it all the time" I don't want my legs to get big or bulky." The elipticle is not the tool for the job.
Summer is on the way and most of us are thinking summer abs and body. We all have different goals and body types. I hope if my abs aren't ready that the rest of my body is. I want the body of a bulker but the abs of a light weight. It's all a work in progress. Hit it hard brother, don't sweat the small stuff, keep your eyes on the prize and make adjustments as needed.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yes, it's great isn't it?

The impression I get is that they think they can perform a workout or two with weights, wake up the next morning and you're irreversibly HUGE.

I wish it worked like this.... :)
hah2110

Post by hah2110 »

So I stopped working out for a few days, ate around maintenance (not bad, not overly clean) and feel like I leaned out a little bit. Is this possible? I actually feel like every time I stop working out, supplementing it, etc., I lean out. Is it in my head? When I get the supplement you recommended, how much should I take and when?

Thanks!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Ok on the leaning out, this has to do with discontinuation of training. You'll often see competitive bodybuilders stop training legs 2 weeks out for example, b/c they show separation better in the legs.

It also goes back to some intra-muscular swelling going down. Training is a form of "agitation" to the body and I suspect some supps of the same. Remove that "agitation" and the body normalizes appearance. So no, it's not all in your head.

If starting with a generic caffeine tab, suggest 100-200mg prior to the workout on an empty stomach.. about 30 minutes prior. If using Burn It Up, suggest 2 caps 45 min prior. If you're looking for more of a kick you can try 100mg of caffeine along with 2 BIU caps.

A very "crisp" mind/muscle connection, better intra-set recovery etc. should be noted..

Hope that helps!
hah2110

Post by hah2110 »

RobRegish wrote:Ok on the leaning out, this has to do with discontinuation of training. You'll often see competitive bodybuilders stop training legs 2 weeks out for example, b/c they show separation better in the legs.

It also goes back to some intra-muscular swelling going down. Training is a form of "agitation" to the body and I suspect some supps of the same. Remove that "agitation" and the body normalizes appearance. So no, it's not all in your head.

If starting with a generic caffeine tab, suggest 100-200mg prior to the workout on an empty stomach.. about 30 minutes prior. If using Burn It Up, suggest 2 caps 45 min prior. If you're looking for more of a kick you can try 100mg of caffeine along with 2 BIU caps.

A very "crisp" mind/muscle connection, better intra-set recovery etc. should be noted..

Hope that helps!
Thanks. Funny, you are good. I noticed last night lines in my legs I had never seen before. Famine starts today. Calories will stay between 1200 and 1500 (closer to the former). It is NOT going to be easy.
hah2110

Post by hah2110 »

Wow am I hungry! Do I need to restrict my carbs at all as long as I meet calories?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

No, in fact carbs should make up the MAJORITY of your calories on Famine. I'm not sure if it was the way I worded it or what but Famine is NOT a low carb stage.

You're doing great. Hang in there... this is a difficult yet healthy and necessary exercise. You will be rewarded, just like everyone else in here :)
hah2110

Post by hah2110 »

Cool... Okay. And so should I be shooting for absolutely max weight since it is only one set? Should I shoot for 6 or 8? That will change the weight I use. It is crazy to me that one set is enough.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Famine workouts are not one set to failure. Please see the following:

https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/phpB ... .php?t=377

You're not training to failure in Famine. Far from it. You ARE depleting muscle glycogen and all substrates therein.

If if was feast you were talking about, check this post for clarity:

https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/phpB ... .php?t=378
hah2110

Post by hah2110 »

RobRegish wrote:Famine workouts are not one set to failure. Please see the following:

You're not training to failure in Famine. Far from it. You ARE depleting muscle glycogen and all substrates therein.

If if was feast you were talking about, check this post for clarity:

https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/phpB ... .php?t=378
I'm confused. In that thread you said:

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:18 am Post subject:
Yes, max effort defined as one work set to absolute muscular failure, failing in that rep range.

Learned skill that comes with a few workouts. It's an adjustment for most but per results being reported here over and over... works wonders once you dial it in!

So which should I do? What am I looking for in the rep range then? Should I be hurting at the end of the reps but not failure or am I working to absolute failure as noted in your thread you linked me to? Also, I can't do a decline bench at my gym, what should I do?

And just for clarity, I don't repeat any biceps, right?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Since you are in Famine I'm assuming you're inquiring about Famine workouts. As such, these sets should not be taken until failure and they are multiple sets with shorter rest periods.

This is part of the reason I encourage people not to look too far ahead. The task is better addressed by focusing on where you are now. To look at the next phase (Feast), Cruise etc it can get overwhelming. Some guys are even inquiring about what their next cycle will look like and they're 2 days into Famine!

You're asking good questions. If I mis-read them, apologize. Given where you are though, look at just this week of Famine. It's 5 days, 3 workouts over those 5 days. And we are right here to help you get through them!
hah2110

Post by hah2110 »

Sorry - still confused

I'm confused. You said that I shouldn't be shooting for complete muscle failure for famine and then you linked me to a thread where you said the opposite and I posted the excerpt showing that. Also, you say there are multiple sets, and I wanted to clarify I don't repeat any bicep workout? This came from the link you gave me about famine:

Famine workouts are not one set to failure. Please see the following:

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:18 am Post subject:
Yes, max effort defined as one work set to absolute muscular failure, failing in that rep range.

Learned skill that comes with a few workouts. It's an adjustment for most but per results being reported here over and over... works wonders once you dial it in!

Can you help me understand? Not trying to be a pain, just don't want to move backwards. Maybe I'm reading something wrong.
hah2110

Post by hah2110 »

Also, with regard to Friday:

Friday

Repeat Monday's workout but with this time with 5 sets and just 30 seconds between sets.

- Select a weight that puts you in the 12-15 rep range.

- This is a tough workout but it gets us to where we need to be in the specified 5 day timeframe.

Five sets of EVERYTHING? What am I repeating? Sorry - just confused.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Here's how I'd like you to proceed on Friday:

- Squats with a weight that finds you able to perform 12-15 reps
immediately into
- Seated cable rows for 12-15 reps

Rest for 30 seconds. Repeat 4 more times. This is understandably difficult and I do NOT expect you to be pushing max weights or weights to failure during these sets. You must pace yourself to complete all 5 rounds. Please do keep your HEALTH at the forefront and discontinue the sets if you feel sick/not "right".

This is a fast paced, intense and demanding routine. It should not though, be something that is dangerous or borderline dangerous. I value your health more than your gains. You should too. Always keep that in mind when performing these workouts.

Having said that, virtually everyone has completed this without issue and in fact, have gone on to stunning new gains. It is an exercise in reaching deep within your mind as much as your muscles. You'll see what I mean when you perform it.

Understandably, you're going to need a breather before finishing off with biceps. Once recovered, finish off with the following:

Biceps

- Standing barbell curls for 12-15

- Incline dumbell curls for 12-`15

- Preacher curls for 12-15

TOTAL of 5 sets of curls. You may use 1 of each type or mix and match but it is a TOTAL of 5 sets with 30 sec of rest in between.

Hope that helps!