Beachpirate's 1st BP log

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

Day 2 of Feast. I definitely feel better today. Yesterday I felt bloated all day but today not so bad and I know I have had more water today. I am also finding it difficult to get my calories and protein in unless I am eating all day. Tomorrow I expect it to be alittle easier since I will be home more. I plan on taking it easy and getting ready for my first day back in the gym. I am looking forward to getting started and seeing what gains I can make during this first run.

calories 2500
carbs 102
fat 97
protein 314
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

keep up the good work man!
kh971

Post by kh971 »

Keep it up Pirate!!! You wll soon be lifting, I am itching to start lifting myself!!!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Try to bring those carbs up a bit relative to the protein..

I did see one example of delayed traction due to this early on... might have been Brainsquirt. Soon as he added more carbs back in his lifts really took off.

What you're doing is fine for the first 3 day, but do add more carbs after that. Nice start!
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

Thanks everyone.

Rob I thought my carbs were alittle low yesterday. I can do better on that. Already had a carb packed breakfast.
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

Day 3 of Feast and another day of feeling bloated and full all day. I don't remember feeling hungry at all today. I focused on trying to get my carbs up some as well as my calories. I fell alittle short in both categories yesterday. Today was better hopefully.

Calories 3158
Carbs 236
Fats 100
Protein 337

Start my first workout tomorrow and just want to be clear on the routine.

Bench Press
After warmup, I do 1 set of 8-10 reps as heavy as I can then immediately do heavy dumbell pullovers 1 set 8-10 reps.

Squats
warmup then 1 set of 8-10 reps as heavy as I can then immediately do stiff legged or Dimel deadlifts 1 set 8-10 reps

* focus given to the stretch at the bottom of the movement.

That's it?

Looks like the next 3 workouts are the same with different rep ranges then in workout 5 going for a new PR.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Correct.

You may add supplemental work but not at the expense of the big barbell lifts, making sure to do them justice.

Suggest dialing back the protein some from this point forward and upping the carbs further. Nothing drastic just try to keep them in balance, perhaps in a 1:1 ratio.

Now that you've re-loaded the protein quite heavily these 3 days the ATP-dependent proteolytic pathway has been peaked. Therefore, more carbohydrates can be consumed to spare the protein for building muscle/fuel these very intense workouts you'll be undertaking...

Hope that helps!
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

Today was a good day. I didn't feel as full or bloated like the previous days. The first day in the gym on the feast. I thought lifting also went well. I don't know if I could have gone heavier on bench or not. I thought I would go for an extra set but was only able to get 4 so I would say I picked a good weight to attemt 8-10 reps on. I'm looking forward to this weeks lifts because it has been a long time since I attempted a 1 rep max. I really have no idea what I will get at the end of the week. I'm sure it will be a confidence booster.

My diet was more inline today. It took some planning to get these number.

Calories 2922
Carbs 252
Fats 98
Protein 252

I have a couple questions

1. How am I calculating my maintenance calories. BW x 10?
2. My multistix arrived today. How are they used to monitor progress during the feast. What specifically do I want to see when testing for protein, ketones and ph.
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

Tomorrow is gonna be BIG
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

beachpirate wrote:Today was a good day. I didn't feel as full or bloated like the previous days. The first day in the gym on the feast. I thought lifting also went well. I don't know if I could have gone heavier on bench or not. I thought I would go for an extra set but was only able to get 4 so I would say I picked a good weight to attemt 8-10 reps on. I'm looking forward to this weeks lifts because it has been a long time since I attempted a 1 rep max. I really have no idea what I will get at the end of the week. I'm sure it will be a confidence booster.

My diet was more inline today. It took some planning to get these number.

Calories 2922
Carbs 252
Fats 98
Protein 252

I have a couple questions

2. My multistix arrived today. How are they used to monitor progress during the feast. What specifically do I want to see when testing for protein, ketones and ph.
I was in the same boat bud.... Last spring was the last time I did a 1 rep max... Good luck on yours!! :D
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great work!

As to your questions:

A. BW x 10 is a good place to start. For most, this is representative of a maintenance caloric level.

A. On the protein levels during Feast, you should see light green/traces of green after your Ebol/BF doses. This is proof positive more nitrogen is being retained.

The other measurement to look for is pH. If you're in an acidic state, consider adding a greens supplement like Alkaplex or incorporating more alkalizing foods. Doing so can only benefit your health/performance!

Great logging so far. Great logging..
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

Busy day today. Just now getting a chance to put everything together and reflect on the day. I had another full day of yard work that included pulling some shurbs so one of my customers can plant some flowers in their place.

I planned ahead and took some food with me so I wouldn't forget to eat. Typically when I am working in the yard I don't feel like eating. Temps are also on the rise and that sometimes contributes to my lack of eating. But not today.

Calories 1856
Carbs 161
Fats 60
Protein 168

Tomorrow is my 2nd workout on the feast. I am going to try to push myself harder and up my weights for each lift.

Q. How does cardio fit into the feast. What is recommended.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

For cardio, I much prefer GPP work such as dragging a weighted sled vs. distance running, etc..

General Physical Preparadness is the term, and it can be boosted by sled workouts. These workouts are unique insofar as they don't damage muscle, but they can build it.

When you drag the sled, there is only concentric (raising of the weight/forward motion) and no eccentric work (lowering of the weight), which causes most of the damage to muscle tissue.

So here we have a form of cardio that ups your VO2 max (heart and lungs) while at the same time adds workload to the overload equation that not only doesn't over-train you, it facilitates recovery between workouts. This, due to greater bloodflow bringing fresh nutrients in to rebuild/repair and waste products (lactic acid) out.

Some of the strongest deadlifters in the world are Finnish loggers. Most only deadlift in the weeks prior to the meet. They got this way by dragging the tree that was cut down to the logging trail where the machine then picked it up. There's a lesson there...

If not willing to go this route, suggest interval training sprint/jog for up to 20 minutes at a time. The same can be applied to biking, stationary bike etc. Start with 5 minutes and work up, structuring it such that you sprint for 20-30 sec and cruise for a minute, sprint and then cruise etc...

Far surpasses long distance cardio IMO.
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

Well I do have a few trees I need to cut down. :lol:

I've been thinking about making a sled after reading the shoulder rehab thread. I also watched several you tube videos on the subject. I'll see if I can get me one made next week.