JlCh Log - 1st Run, better late than never!

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Your suggested frequency I'm on board with. Just make sure to listen to your body and insert extra rest days if you feel the need. Very important.

Now on your more work on bench days, the suggested EDT blocks look fine. Either drop the pullovers altogether or sub them for one of the EDT blocks.

That's a lot of upper body work/compound movements. Just trying to look out for your recovery from such. Great work and I REALLY appreciate you being proactive and sketching something out first.

Many thanks and keep up the good work!
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Alrighty. Would it be alright to switch back and forth between pull ups/pull overs or is it more beneficial to stick with 1 exercise through the few weeks to compare it week to week?

Also, how soon until I start the GLP? One day of rest or two? Unless this is personal preference.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Best bet is to stick with the exercises such that you can make like comparisons. If you plateu or grow mentally board, certainly switch.

2-3 days of rest then start GLP. You're coming off a new 1RM (or should be) and this can be taxing. I drop the EDT blocks coming off workout #5, just to ensure full recovery...
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Well, today I did GLP day 1 for squats and I was doing great until the 5th set and my lower back cramped up like terrible. It was like the old pain I use to get so I'm not sure what's going on. It isn't a sharp contraction like a "cramp" is, but I'm not sure how else to describe it. It's a dull ache that hurts to even stand. It's around my tailbone area and goes across from there on both sides. Any suggestions on who to go see (chiropractor maybe?) Anyway, I ended up going a bit light due to my back.

Squat:
155x10, 170x8, 190x8, 205x8, 225x8, 245x4

EDT:
Romanian deads: 135x8x8x8x8x10 (42)
Leg sled: 405x8x8x8x8x10 (42)

Rope pulldown static hold (for abs): full stack x2 for 10 seconds each.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Definately get to a chiro!

You'll be OK man. Just get to one... fast :)
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Well, after I did the first EDT set I opted that another one may be too much as I was felt pretty beat up after it. I still did an extra exercise, so would like thoughts.

GLP BP workout #1

135x10, 145x8, 160x8, 175x8, 190x8, 205x6, 225x2

EDT:
Incline DB Press: 70x6x6x6x5x4 (27)
DB Pullovers: 70x6x6x6x5x4 (27)

BB Bentover Rows: 135x10, 145x9, 155x6

Smith Machine BP SH: 275x10 seconds (twice)

Problems:
- I didn't have a spotter. That limited my 205x8(last set) so I stopped at 6 reps and upped it to 225 and pumped out 2 reps instead. Not sure how I was suppose to accommodate as I didn't fail at 6 reps, just didn't feel safe doing more reps.

- SH's were very awkward and seemed to tweak my left wrist on smith machine. I could not get the angle right and put a lot of pressure on my wrist/forearm. So I'll probably opt to not these any more if there isn't anyone around to spot
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Damn. That no spotter issue is going to ruin things. I hate hearing "no spotter". Nevertheless, you did all that you could so nice work there.

Safety first guys. Always. Damn "no spotter" really pisses me off.
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

You and me both. I'm not going to ask another person that doesn't know what they're doing though, as I would be better off chancing on an iffy rep than torquing my back like in the past (not really I guess, as it would happen either way lol). But once my jack3d runs out I'll start going later when more acquaintances go to get a good spotter. If I take jack3d later in the day it keeps me up all night. So lack of sleep isn't worth lack of failure from my perspective.

Edit: Going to update first post with a picture I guess. Will take 1-2 more during the run as I'd like to see the increases through out it. Was taking Sept 18th before working out.

https://img826.imageshack.us/img826/7122/sept182010.jpg
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Well, finally got into the gym today. Lower back was still a bit iffy on squats after 225 but ended up switching to the smith machine to finish off the last 2 sets and seemed to help a bit. Good news though, talked with a kid that I threw a half a bottle of SP250 to (doesn't agree with my stomach) and got the time he'll be going in so I can get a spot.

Squats:
(Free weight) 155x10, 190x8, 205x6, 225x6
(Smith Machine) 245x6, 265x6

EDT (18 min):
SLDL: 185x6x6, 205x6x6x6x6 (12/24 reps)
Leg Sled: 365x6x6, 385x6x6x6x6 (12/24 reps)

Static Hold Rope Pull down (Abs): full rack 2x10 seconds

Edit: I've had a bag of Quiona sitting in my cupboard for like 4 months, but have no idea how to begin eating it. Any suggestions on how to cook/consume it?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yeah man, cook that stuff (I think you boil it) or get a GF/wife to do it like I do :)

Now its pretty bland but chicken broth and the like is your friend. Flavors well with things like that. You can even eat it cold but best warm.

Plus, it contains Ecdy believe it or not :)
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Haha, contrary to popular belief, all women aren't good at cooking! Plus I was just aiming for some tips on how to cook it so I could mess around with it.

As for the log, I think I should start including how long my EDT sets were. As for the load on the muscles do I just multiply sets X weight? Will edit in the info in the above workout.

Edit: I edited it in but not sure if I did it right. This is how you find out if you're going up in your % to up the weight, correct?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

All you need to know right here:

https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/phpB ... .php?t=730

See "Suggested Feast workout template" and "How to construct your EDT blocks"

On EDT, stick with the SAME weight but shoot for more TOTAL reps from session to session. Hope that helps!

Right here for you if you need additional help!
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Gotcha. Wonder where I got that weight thing in my head from then.

If at all possible, I'll be starting up floor hockey again. It's just a recreational thing that I use to do back in HS (haven't done it in 2 years). Problem is, it's about 2 hours of running pretty hard -- will this have any effect on anything during the program? Should I just carb up heavily prior to going or just eat normal? I'm not really worried about running out of energy or anything, just not sure how much long high intensity cardio will impair growth ect. Not sure if they'll start it up or not, but if they do will start pretty soon.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

It may very well, yes. You'll want a good intra workout drink during these games and closely monitor your progress in the gym.

At some point if it's problematic you'll have to choose: BP Gains or Hockey. Not saying one or the other is right but 2hrs of this will affect things... at least they would for me!