Warm Ups - How To

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

PrimiFit wrote:Hi Rob!

What do you think about Dr. Peter Rouse's recommendation, which is that you should warm up like you're going to lift, as in doing the same rep range and tempo? He also recommended that you should do more warm up sets if you lift heavy and less if you'll lift mid range or light.

He said that this kind of warming up sets the nervous system right for the working set.

I've done both of these, the one you recommend and the one I described, and I think that they both work well, but I'd like to know what you think.

Thank you!
I'm of the opinion that if training for strength, warming up in Dr. Rouse's espoused fashion is a good idea. In other words, the CNS should be allowed to "see" the weight used on the work set. My only issue is that I only perform 1-2 reps with that weight, prior to my working set (say in the 3-8 rep range, depending).

I don't think it makes any sense to tire yourself out on warmups, you know? The objective should be to allow your CNS "see" your work set weight, without exhausting yourself prior to the show. Now you're ready to rock n' roll... :)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

kyle wrote:Hi Rob,

I just wanted to ask how long should i continue to warm up my body(Time).
I don't know if there's a stock a answer to this Kyle. Much depends upon your age, conditioning, exercise you're working up to etc.

In general, I don't waste a lot of time on warmups. I do 2, perhaps 3 sets that allow my CNS to "see" the work set weight I'll be working with. Then I give the CNS a good (10 min, at least) rest.

Then, BOOM - it's show time... :)