Beachpirate's 1st BP log

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

I am back from the beach and took the day off to rest. I will be going to teh gym in the morning for GLP#6 bench.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yeah Beach. Rest up good!

Visualize that lift tonight. See yourself doing it. Where the mind goes, the body will follow...
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

Hit the gym this morning and mentally I was prepared and looking forward to hitting it hard. Unfortunately I had not rested up well enough. I really felt good and slept well last night but my delts were still fatigued from all the kayaking I did. I probably could have taken another day to rest but I thought I was ready. I feel like I did not get much of a workout in. All I accomplished was the bench and a disappointing 1rm at that. As I began, I knew immediately my shoulder were not going to be much help and 50% was alittle heavy and painful. I took my time to rest between sets and pushed on. My shoulders never felt up to the task today.

GLP#6
115x10
145x5
175x3
195x1
215x1
235x1

My first attemp 235 was a total failure. I barely got the weight 4 inches off my chest so I rested about 10 minutes and hit it again. I nailed it this time but it felt very heavy and painful in my shoulders. On GLP#4 I did 235 pretty easily so today I was planning to push 245-250 as a goal. Which I believe I could get at least 245 on a good day.

I have only myself to blame. I had my trip planned since february and when I looked at the time table for the GLP I realized this trip would fall right before my new max day. My weekend consisted of hitting the beach on thursday night and not leaving the beach untill sunday afternoon. This included eating and sleeping or not sleeping since we fished through the night thursday and friday nights.

Disappointed in my strength and performance I left the gym and decided not to push it any farther. I considered taking another stab at the bench later this week to see if I have recovered enough to make another run at it but I leave that up to Rob to determine if that is ok or not. I will be getting my squat day in tomorrow or thursday. On friday I will be going on vacation to florida and will want to get this phase wrapped up before I go. I will be at a resort that advertses a "state of the art" fitness facility so I should be able to get some workouts in while I am there.
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

Beach man dont beat yourself up , I am willing to bet after a few days of rest and good diet youll max higher than you thought. It has happened to me

Oh and I like my Grouper blackened..thanks
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

:lol: I'm after sharks. Anything else is just bait.
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

What a difference a day makes. I decided to go back to the gym this morning for my GLP#6 Squat day and had a good workout.

Squat
155x10
195x5
135x3
265x1
295x1
325x1
345x1
365x1

305 was my starting weight for this GLP and I increased my squat 60#. I felt good during the lifts and had little difficulty loading and unloading the weight on the rack. I raised the safety bars a notch before my last 2 lifts in case I could not get them and so I could get the weight off my back before being injured. I stopped at 365 after feeling my back buckle as I began the lift. I did not hurt myself but to be safe I did not attempt anything heavier, 365 was enough.

Next came my PR zone
Romainian Deadlifts and Leg Press
185x6 520x6
185x6 520x6
185x6 520x5
185x6 520x5
185x6 520x4

I believe my squats zapped my legs because 520 felt very heavy from the start but I finish out the routine. I was pretty much spent after this and called it a day, pleased with my new 1RM
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

305 to 360? That's insane!

As Hank so accurately predicted.... great gains followed. So proud of you for hanging in there. Both of you really, for not losing faith.

More PR's... :)
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

beachpirate wrote::lol: I'm after sharks. Anything else is just bait.
I have eaten them too
SudburyBaller

Post by SudburyBaller »

RobRegish wrote:305 to 360? That's insane!

As Hank so accurately predicted.... great gains followed. So proud of you for hanging in there. Both of you really, for not losing faith.

inspirational. Respect The Pirate
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

RobRegish wrote:305 to 360? That's insane!

I felt reel good with 345 and the weight did not feel too bad on my shoulders and when I squatted down then up it was tough but I felt I had alittle more in me. I was going to stop at 355 but really wanted to slap the 25's on each side so I went for it. Glad I did.

I remember when I did my first squat the weight wasn't too bad at 305 but my biggest issue was that I was using the squat rack and not the power rack and I was having a hard time loading and unloading the weights. Switching to the power rack lines the bar up much better for me. Next run at the BP I'm shooting for 405 or better.
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

After Tuesdays poot performance I decided to go back to the gym this morning and give it another try. With this being the last day of the GLP I did not want to finish on a sour note.

GLP#6
Bench
115x10
145x5
175x3
195x1
215x1
240x1 this went up pretty good today so I attempted
250x1 I asked my spotter to leave me alone unless I completely failed but as I hit my sticking ppoint, I felt him bump the bar slightly which I believe helped me through the sticking point. Once through that spot, I was able to power through pretty easily but I'm not sure if I could have done it with out the bump. Oh Well, it was still better than tuesday's lift and I'm satisfied with the 240 for now.

This being the last day of GLP I pushed my PR zone alittle higher as well

PR Zone 18mins
Decline Bench and Seated Cable Rows
80x6 180x6
80x6 180x6
80x6 180x6
80x6 180x6
80x6 180x6
80x5 180x4

I need to know where to go next, do I continue in the feast or move to cruise at this point? I will be leaving on vacation tomorrow and I do not know what the equipment will be like but I intend to workout while I am there.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Fantastic work!

You accomplished a huge new PR on squat and sounds like a new PR on bench too. Granted, the 250 needed a slight bump but I'm willing to bet 245 would have gone given your comments on how 240 felt :)

I'd hit cruise for now and do your best given the equipment available. Some GPP type stuff should be easy enough to incorporate (some type of dragging/pushing, medicine ball throws or plate throws etc.)

Don't stress out too much if equipment is limited. Relax, reflect on the gains made during your first run. You earned it! Most importantly, use this time to plan your next moves. Let me know what those are and we'll work together to formulate a plan!
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

Finally made it back from vacation after being involved in an accident on the interstate thursday afternoon. Everyone was ok, but the truck is still in Savanah, GA. Not my fault but the other guy was uninsured. Now I'm fighting my insurance to get things taken care of.

I will be starting the cruise phase this week since I was unable to workout at the resort. The "state of the art" fitness room consisted of only cardio equipment. I will be staying with the cruise phase alittle longer than planned since my gym will be closing down on the 4th and it will take a few weeks for the new gym to open. In the mean time I will be able to lift in one of the other Gold's Gym in town. I don't want to start my next BP run until I'm in the new gym. It is still expected to be open in June.
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

First workout of Cruise went ok today. My internet was down so I did not have a chance to review the workout before I went today.

Bench 80%
135x5
155x5
175x5
195x5 (80%)
195x5
195x5
195x5
195x5

Incline DB Press
50x5
60x5