Blueprint - 1st run... with a twist

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
rip

Blueprint - 1st run... with a twist

Post by rip »

A little about me, 5'8" 178 pounds, 25 years old. Been lifting off and on for the better part of my life but have only recently started back up again. I had taken about 3-4 months off from lifting before starting back up so I was basically starting back at square one, having lost all my strength and most of my size.

I have been on Starting Strength for the past 2+ months and am already stronger now in squats and deadlifts then ever before. Bench is still a little behind where it was at one point in time but for only being back at it for a little over 2 months I am extremely happy with where my strength is at.

I become extremely obssesive and motivated about things that I am passionate about, and right now getting stronger is my #1 priority. After seeing the results of some Blueprint logs, I decided to check it out. I am always looking for more knowledge and anything that can give me an edge.

After reading over the program, I decided to try and intertwine the principles of the blueprint with the starting strength workout program. Rob says he hasn't had anyone try this before so I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

This was my idea, and what I sent to Rob to see what he thought:

"What I had decided would be to begin "famine" about a week into my next reset of starting strength. This would mean I drop my weights 10% and work back up to my previous 5RM and beyond. I figure the first few workouts of the reset would serve as my back-off week to prep for the program. Not a big back-off, but 10% less weight and slowly working back up to my previous 5RM for a few workouts would likely ensure that I'm mostly recovered and ready for "famine". It's definitely the least intense phase of starting strength, so perfect for a back off prep week.

Then as I go into the "famine" portion I would be back around my previous 5RM's and ready to start increasing weight every workout for as long as I can. I'm sure strength won't be optimal during famine, but I think I could handle my old 5RM even on a big caloric deficit if I really get fired up for the workouts. This would be more weight than previous workouts, and I could add in extra cardio and accesory work to really get my body in the alarm state. Then as "feast" began I would really up the calories, start the ecdy and incorporate the loaded stretches to help with ecdy efficiency. I would probably do this at the end of my workouts since strength is my main goal. I would hopefully be adding 5-10 pounds on squats/deadlifts each workout and 2.5-5 pounds on bench and OH press and cleans during the feast phase."

My goal is not size, only strength. I'm hoping to use the principles of the blueprint to extend my time in the "novice phase" and keep linear progression going as long as possible.

Now famine is over and it's time to feast. Today was Day 1 of feast, and tomorrow will be my first workout. I'm still not back up to my previous 5RM in squats but I'm not far off. Timing wise this appears to be just about perfect for starting "feast".

Right now my PRs are:

Squat: 310x5
Bench: 200x5
Deads: 328x5

My goals are to get squats up to 340x5, bench to 220x5, and deads to 360x5 over the next 4 or so weeks.

My real goal is to deadlift 405 on video for the finale of this log.

Here's a vid of me doing 328x5 last week. Any tips on form are appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmQQTf6bE7U

Supps I'll be using are:

E-bol
Powerfull
Jacked
GABA
SuperCissus
Maca

And of course, multi, fish oil, creatine mono.

I've been using Jack3d, cissus, and maca for the better part of the last 2 months, but the others I'll be trying for the first time.

I am hoping for BIG gains.
rip

Post by rip »

Diet will look like this...

Diet Breakdown:

3000-3500 Calories
50-55% Carbs
25-30% Protein
18-20% Fat

This will be my target calorie and macro breakdown on any given day. From past experience I would normally gain about 1 pound per week on this diet.

Carbs will come from mainly low GI sources such as oats, and veggies, along with some other sources such as fruits, whole grain bread, pasta, rice, etc.

Protein will come mainly from lean sources such as chicken, tuna, turkey, protein powder, egg whites.

Fats will come mainly from healthy sources such as almonds, eggs, peanut butter, and avocados.

As recommended, I will be starting off at the high end of these calories and gradually decreasing them as the feast phase comes to an end.
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Hey, good luck with the BP.

As for your DL form, your back doesn't seem "straight" to me. Here's a vid if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u899wRn ... ded#at=225
rip

Post by rip »

Thanks bro I agree, I think I need my hips a little lower before I start the lift so I can keep my back straight throughout.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Well, you look like you're off to a great start!

Good ingenuity working the BP principles in. I have no doubt you'll get to where you want to be. Looking forward to this one!
rip

Post by rip »

First workout was yesterday:

Squats:

135x5x2
185x5
225x3
245x2
300x5/5/3

OH Press:

65x5
85x5
105x3
115x2
132.5x4/3/3

Weighted hypers:

BWx5
+45x5
+55x5

Loaded stretches:

RDL's:

135x8
185x8

DB Pullovers:

40x8x3

Not the best workout but I didn't take Jack3d before this workout which makes a noticeable difference. I'm hoping from here on out my workouts will be amazing and the ecdy/blueprint will kick in!

Deadlifts tomorrow, which I can't wait to dominate.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

It will... trust me on that :)
rip

Post by rip »

Thanks Rob, based on today's workout you might be right.

Light squats:

135x5
185x5
235x5
235x5

Bench Press:

95x5
135x5
155x3
175x2
205x5x3 <-- Solid PR, felt great

Deads:

155x5
205x5
245x3
275x2
335x4.9 <-- PR, but couldn't quite lock out the 5th rep

Pull-ups:

BWx5/3/2

DB Pullovers:

40x8x3

Solid workout today, especially bench. I would have liked to get the 5 reps on deads a little easier, but overall very happy with the workout. Time to see if I can PR on squats Thursday.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

PR's with more PR clouds forming as Hank would say.. :)

Go get those PR's Thursday!