The Start!

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
Suedec

The Start!

Post by Suedec »

So, I am back from vacation now and a full weeks rest from the gym. Today, I am starting my Famine Phase.

My resting HR is about 60BPM.
For Breakfast I had 3 pieces of toast with butter totaling about 1.5tbs and a hard boiled egg. That puts me at 362 calories, 16g of fat, 40g of Carbs, and 15g of protein.

Early afternoon I plan to hit the gym with the following routine:

Squats super-set with 1 Arm Dumbbell Row
Tbar Row super-set with Chin Up
Standing BB Curl
Incline DB Curl
Preacher Curl

Then I will go and attempt to ride my bike for an hour and hopefully get about 20+ miles in.

Rest tomorrow and then onto D-2.
sovabrat

Post by sovabrat »

Good luck man, A routine like that will surely get your body into shock so you can transition nicely.
Suedec

Post by Suedec »

Well, I am back from the gym and I tell you. Chin-ups kill me... I had to PUSH them out and I can't even say that my form was all that great. I did a 4,5,6 rep sets.

ALSO, I loaded loaded up for squats at 225lbs and had a HARD time pushing out 4 in the first set. What I did was grabbed a bench and tried to lower myself to it as far as I could them go back up. My legs were going nuts... So, what I had to do was this:

Squats
225x4, 205x5, 210x6
1 Arm DB Row
60x6, 60x6, 60x6
Tbar Row
150x6, 150x6, 150x6
Chin-Up

Standing BB Curl
70x6
Incline DB Curl
35x6
Preacher Curl
70x6

45min of cardio with my HR maxing out at 173. I did not cycle today, just did cardio inside on a Precor.

What I think I need to do on the 5th day WO is lower the weight to push out the required number of reps/sets. For instance, my squats I think I need to lower to 180lb or so that way I can push up A LOT more.
Suedec

Post by Suedec »

Well, it's about the end of day 2 and I feel good. I know I won't start to really feel it till day 3, 4 or 5 but it's off to a good start.

Today I consumed roughly:

1085 Calories
22g Fat
170 Carbs
52g Protein

This is just now, I plan to have a few pieces of fruit before I hit the sac also. It takes some will power to not eat when you get the urge. Especially when family wants to go out to eat...

Tomorrow I feel will be a great workout. I will probably concentrate on more DB than BB for my benchpresses. I am still trying to get use to not taking any supplements though. I am use to taking creatine and Muscle Spike for my pre-workout.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

If muscle spike is a thermogenic, you can take it.

But yes, I know what you means. We're all used to taking so many supps so often..... all of a sudden they're gone!
Suedec

Post by Suedec »

I am going to do Famine with no supps. For my energy boost I will just down a cup of coffee or 2.
Suedec

Post by Suedec »

Finishing off day 3. Gym was a heck of a work out and did an hour of cardio.

I am finishing off the nutritional day with the following:

1470 Calories
45g Fat
208g Carbs
65g Protein

I usually drink a lot of water and have continued to do so. I also have some green tea here and there also. I have been trying to keep my calories 8 times my body weight and that would put me at a 1533 calorie intake daily.

So far, I have not been a victim to any major fatigue or lack of energy like I have read some others feel. Besides feeling a punch from the work out, I feel good. I am not sure if it is because my bodies metabolism or what... I also have not seen any concentration in my urine also. I do think though that it is partially because of my water intake. I have not used the test strips though either, so maybe I should try that.

I know my resting HR has been about 60-62 usually and this morning it was near 66. Is that a ticket to it working? I will see what it is in the morning also.

I am stoked though to move on to the rest of the routine. I am super excited to see my results.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Glad to hear it and you're right on track!

For me, Famine day 3 is the bellweather. It hits hard on day 3 for me. And yes, your resting heart rate increasing is right on track! Even assuming a high baseline of 62, the 66 figure on day 3 is a full 4 beats per minute jump which puts you right on track for the specified 8 beats per minute increase we're shooting for.

You're doing well man, very well. Do take care not to take Famine too deep. It really is a healthy exercise when done right (liberating toxins and such). And always, always be on guard with your health. If ever in doubt, discontinue Famine if something doesn't feel "right".

I value your health more than your gains. You should, too...

GREAT work!
Suedec

Post by Suedec »

Thanks Rob. I wouldn't say that something doesn't feel right. I personally feel good. I would say I feel a little less energetic than the norm which is in accordance for Famine now. I am assuming that me feeling the way I do is also because I am still off work till tomorrow so I am not having to over work myself if not needed... Either way, today is Day-4 and moving along well!
Suedec

Post by Suedec »

Yesterday was my last day of the Famine phase and that workout was absolutely gut wrenching... I have reason to believe that I also hurt my right abductor. It "aches" when I apply direct force from say a squat and follow through on it. So I think instead of squats, I will attempt to make up with some leg presses on the sled... Other than that I feel great and I glad I can eat now. While I did not suffer during Famine like some others, it was rough not being able to eat full portions.

I have a question though. It is absolutely necessary that we have the 3 day eating before workout or can I cur it to 2 days before going back to the gym?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

You may rest only 2 days but.... you have to have a good reason for this. Time for an injury to heal up is a good reason. Itching to get back to it is not.

The 3 days is there for a reason, so please consider that before making the call...
Suedec

Post by Suedec »

Reason I ask is because I will not be able to hit the gym Friday (the 4th day) due to work so I just might hold it off till Saturday then.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

That is a good plan :)