The Deadlift

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
jigga365

The Deadlift

Post by jigga365 »

I ordered the blueprint and think it's going to do great things for me. I just noticed that traditional deadlifts are missing. I think deadlifts are only second to squats as overall mass builder. I see suggestions for SLDL and Dimmel for stretching purposes but not workout specifically utilizing the Deadlift. How can I incorporate these into my routine. I'm coming from a one body part a day routine so this is a huge adjustment for me. I'd like to somehow utilize the following at least once a week.

1. Squat
2. Deadlift
3. Bench Press
4. Military Press
sovabrat

Post by sovabrat »

good move on getting the BLueprint. You wont be disappointed.

As for the deadlift, I understand where you are coming from. One thing you need to understand is that the workouts during feast phase are heavily based on the Benchpress and the Squats. For this reason, the workouts are usually broken up into an upper day and a lower day.

The main lift in each workout is going to be the complex movement based on a German Loading Progression Pattern. It is all laid out in there, I wont bore you with the details.

You could definitely incorporate the traditional deadlift into your lower day but you should be pretty drained from 6 sets of squats with the required weight. The supplement suggested for the Blueprint really shines when you use weighted stretch movements because it helps your body adapt to these extreme stresses. With that said, the dimmel or Stiff leg deadlift are great stretch movements that can be done after your squats.

In my opinion, doing both of those complex movements (squat and deadlift) on the same leg day would take away from eachother, whichever one is first will likely sap you of the hamstring and quad strength used for the other... Is this making sense?

You could maybe consider doing deadlifts on a third workout day that might include lower back as well. Take into consideration though that the feast phase is approximately 30-40 days. If you map your workouts on a calendar timeframe, you will notice that mon,wed,fri will give you the needed rest between upper and lower. To get in 6 workouts of both upper and lower during that time frame, including the intiial loading period is really really difficult. It is my estimation that you might hit that point where your body is ready for cruise before you really get into the 5th or 6th workouts for the Loading Pattern. It is during these workouts where you push your 1RM 105%.

Please dont take my word as gold standard. I am still in the middle of my first BP run. I am only basing my opinion on what I have experienced so far, and my take on the body's reaction to the supplements, and certain exercises that have given me significant results.

I hope this helps you out :)

Edit: Forgot to address military press.

On my upper days, I super set Military DB presses with DB extensions. You could easily put BB military press during these days as well but with similar thinking as the squats and deadlifts. You will be pretty drained of chest and shoulder strength from doing the 6 sets of about 8-10 reps of bench press. This is why I like to do 3 super sets after my complex lifts. It not only works on endurance, but the weighted stretch movements give you an extreme pump. Its all about the pump right? :)
jigga365

Post by jigga365 »

Thanks for the reply and I think I'm getting it. I looked at the German loading phase and its 6 workouts etc. Do you think I could do workout 1 with the main lift be squats, workout 2 with main lift of bench press and workout 3 with main lift deadlift. Then repeat this pattern for the 6 workouts? Also, are you doing a PR zone with each workout? If so, how many pr zones are you doing per workout?

Thanks
sovabrat

Post by sovabrat »

Do you think I could do workout 1 with the main lift be squats, workout 2 with main lift of bench press and workout 3 with main lift deadlift. Then repeat this pattern for the 6 workouts?
I think you could do this but I think you might run out of time during feast. I am doing a bench one day and squat on the next workout. 2 concurring loading patterns. This takes me right up to the last possible day almost in feast. Now this is all dependent on your body's reaction. Its hard to think about right now, but once you get into famine and then transition, you will understand what your body is telling you.

I dont do the EDT's. I do super sets with my bench day so it looks like this.

Bench GLP

Wide Grip Pullups, Weighted Dips 3x8 x whatever weight you think

Mil DB Press, DB Extension 3x8 your weight

Inc DB Curl, One Arm Row 3x8 your weight.

This takes me into the 60 minutes area of total workout time. Resting about 1.5-2 minutes in between each set.
dracotdrgn

Re: The Deadlift

Post by dracotdrgn »

jigga365 wrote: I see suggestions for SLDL and Dimmel for stretching purposes but not workout specifically utilizing the Deadlift.
Loaded stretching does not necessarily mean light. When I do my loaded stretching it is with heavy weights matching the rep range of the main lift. So whatever rep range my bench is I find a weight for pullovers that I can match etc...

I haven't checked your info yet but depending on strength and experience you can super set squat and DL. I do it often! You just have to watch the lower back, that's why Rob suggests the hip/spud belt for squats. If I'm going real heavy I wait 1 min before SLDL then 5 min before the next squat.

I'm finishing up my third BP run, I remember at one point during my first run Rob had me super setting heavy bench with heavy squats. :shock: Never done THAT before.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great, great answers here and I appreciate the help as I was on the road all last night!

The short answer: You can REPLACE the SQ with the DL if you so choose. Interesting to note though...that between the Romanian and SL guys see their 1RM DL increasing too, in the event they test it!
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

One thing I have to stress here is form. Day in day out I see people doing DLs with their backs rounded. Keep that lower back arched in and those shoulders back. Don't set the weight down until you're done, if you do on RDL don't relax then jerk on the weight for a quicker pull. I use a belt on DL and squat for anything over 50% of my max.
Just a safety tip....
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great point Draco and can't be overstated. This is where the hip belt squat shines.

For with the hip belt, you can hammer those legs and SAVE the lower back for the Deadlift. One of the best investment's you'll ever make...
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

RobRegish wrote:Great point Draco and can't be overstated. This is where the hip belt squat shines.

For with the hip belt, you can hammer those legs and SAVE the lower back for the Deadlift. One of the best investment's you'll ever make...
i think i figured out what my birthday present is gonna be :D
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Talk to Hank about that. I think he scored a connection that gets them DIRT cheap and in great condition too.

I PROMISE you it's an investment you won't regret. I do them exclusively now...