Dips

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
DaCookie

Dips

Post by DaCookie »

Yo i switched up my program a bit cause was doing the same one for like 14 weeks now.

Im not sure my dips form is right as I dont feel that squeeze in the pecs like in bench, I do it like this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr1svs0wliI

as apposed to a more angled version like im trying to do but it seems impossible like this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbQZ_h-xXZw
drtda

Post by drtda »

My take is that even very slight differences in the dip bars can make a huge difference in how you do your dips.

I have been doing dips as my main upper body exercise for the last 5-6 months. The gym where I work out and my home gym both have straight (not angled) bars for dips, but my home one is slightly wider-literally only 1 to 1.5 inches.

I have noticed though, that the additional 1 to 1.5 inches causes more pec involvement and more forward lean at home, than the very slightly narrower one at the gym.

Not sure if this helps you, but some food for thought.
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

i like leaning slightly forward while doing the dips, so my head is almost hitting the middle support at the lowest point...I utilize the dip/pullup machine with the assisted support(which I don't use anymore). I would be similar to the guy in the second video...I wish I had a weighted belt, but unfortunately I have to use Dumbbells for my weighted dips...gonna be using 50lb DBs next time, and 45lb ones were pretty bulky...
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

drtda wrote:My take is that even very slight differences in the dip bars can make a huge difference in how you do your dips.

I have been doing dips as my main upper body exercise for the last 5-6 months. The gym where I work out and my home gym both have straight (not angled) bars for dips, but my home one is slightly wider-literally only 1 to 1.5 inches.

I have noticed though, that the additional 1 to 1.5 inches causes more pec involvement and more forward lean at home, than the very slightly narrower one at the gym.

Ah thats what it is cheers man.Yeh matter I try to lean forward but I looked in the mirror and the difference is nothing and I think on the last reps I just cant hold that difference even though it makes so little of a change.

Yeh the bars are straight and quite far apart and im not angled at all, infact im pretty much straight...I find the dips very hard as I think only my triceps are being worked?Imma try tomorrow to see if I can really push myself to lean as forward as possible.If I dont suceed and ill post my problems/maybe a video.
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

DaCookie wrote:
drtda wrote:My take is that even very slight differences in the dip bars can make a huge difference in how you do your dips.

Ah thats what it is cheers man.Yeh matter I try to lean forward but I looked in the mirror and the difference is nothing and I think on the last reps I just cant hold that difference even though it makes so little of a change.

Yeh the bars are straight and quite far apart and im not angled at all, infact im pretty much straight...I find the dips very hard as I think only my triceps are being worked?Imma try tomorrow to see if I can really push myself to lean as forward as possible.If I dont suceed and ill post my problems/maybe a video.
Triceps definitely get worked, and can become a limiting factor, especially on the last set...luckily for me, my triceps are very strong, and while they feel like they are about to explode, they don't limit my reps. Make sure you have the handles turned out for dips, rather than in(if they can be moved). Out works chest more, in works triceps more.
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

matter2003 wrote:
Triceps definitely get worked, and can become a limiting factor, especially on the last set...luckily for me, my triceps are very strong, and while they feel like they are about to explode, they don't limit my reps. Make sure you have the handles turned out for dips, rather than in(if they can be moved). Out works chest more, in works triceps more.
the difference in work done on the muscle will be negligible based on angle of the handles. Dips are a compound exercise. As such they should be done with maximum weight at FULL rom

example of full ROM and solid form:
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

Cheers Big J I just did the dips like you did for a few reps then flexed my chest and im pretty sure it was a good bit harder compared to when I tried it my way then flexed so it was being worked.Didnt realize the head must go that low.

I think my flaw was that my chest was never angled towards the ground, it was straight always whereas with your way at the end of the going down bit of the rep your chest is angled at the ground.
coontentment

Post by coontentment »

that video is great for advice on how deep to go big j.

how wide do you have your elbows?
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

coontentment wrote:that video is great for advice on how deep to go big j.

how wide do you have your elbows?
wherever is most comfortable for you my man

there is no cut and dry answer for that