quick question

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
riley0724

quick question

Post by riley0724 »

So i have just gotten the ok to go back to the gym yesterday, i went through a serious head injury two months ago on the first day of feast if you can believe it. The only problem is that i have to be able to do 10-15 reps per set and thats my doctors rules. So my question is "How do you guys think i can work blueprint into this, because it seems almost impossible to do in my opinion"? thanks if anyone can help
riley0724

Post by riley0724 »

can someone move this to the questions section sorry i put it in the wrong place!!!!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

It's OK, we can leave it here..

Your solution will have to be a slight modification of the training templates to get into that range. That likely means you'll have to focus moreso on EDT blocks in higher rep ranges during Feast vs. loading patterns.

It also means the tradtional Famine will be out and a more moderated approach will need to be incorporated.

Can you expand upon what type of head injury it is and "why/how" the rep range specified was arrived at?

I'm guessing your doc is concerned about extreme exertion?
riley0724

Post by riley0724 »

Ok had an accident and it ended up causing extreme brain injury, i had a bleeding brain i was in a coma for four days and had a fractured skull, and was on life support while in a coma and was stuck in the hospital for three weeks and now life is kind of on hold for about a year for recovery. They doctors said that my brain went through more then a proffessional boxers ten year career so it was pretty bad. The reason for the 10-15 reps is exactly for the reason that my nuerologist doesn't want my brain or body to go through extreme exertion so that is way i want to modify the BLUEPRINT because before my accident i was so excited to do it and now i won't be able to do the real workouts for probably another 6 months.

hope that is enough info Rob and thanks for any help everyone
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Ok thank you for sharing. And thank the Lord for your recovery. So glad you're still with us!

There's no way I can responsibly recommend what we do in The BP to you at this point. This does NOT mean we can't help you. We can and we will. To throw you into the whiplash that is BP though, would be irresponsible.

I would suggest following Dr's orders, identifying those movements that you are comfortable with and those with which you feel you can progress.

This is a special case that's outside the scope of what I/we do here, but again here to help. It starts with the above so let's ID say, half a dozen movements you feel good with. I'll come up with a plan and you can pass it by your Dr.

Deal?
riley0724

Post by riley0724 »

thanks yes i am glad to still be around!

I will talk to my doctors on tuesday the 14th and i'll see what they say for what movements i can do and then i will let you know.

thanks for all the support and help with this, i'm glad i bought this e-book and will only say good things about it!!!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

My pleaure and I look forward to hearing back from you. Once we have the movements, I'll craft something for you such that we can run it by your Dr.

Once we get you back and "cleared" for the fully BP, no stopping you! I will be privileged to be a part of it :)
riley0724

Post by riley0724 »

so my nuerologist said that i can do most of the main movements like benchpress, and those ones but i am not aloud to do squats yet, i have a meeting with my other recovery doctor tomorrow and he will give me a better idea on what sort of things i can do.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Do me a favor and pass this one by him: The hip belt squat or like variation:

IRONMIND HIP BELT
https://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmi ... umber=1220

SPUD SQUAT BELT

https://www.flexcart.com/members/eliteft ... D&pid=1595

If you do order either one, I highly suggest getting the Ironmind loading pin,which can be found here and makes loading/unloading a snap:

15" LOADING PIN

https://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmi ... ber=1314-C

In fact, I'd put that loading pin at the TOP of the list given you can always rig something up off of an old dip belt.

Squatting in this fashion takes ALL of the vertical pressure off of the spine, allows for unrestricted breathing and will relieve much of the "pressure" I suspect your Dr. is concerned with. Video demontrations here to give you/your Dr. a better idea:

Hip Belt Squats - How To both w/Free weights and Cables!

The first video is with the loading pin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PldcPTOA ... re=related

That loading pin is HIGHLY recommended and makes free weight loading a snap.

Second video is how to do it with a low pulley attachment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzpRhqW5o6Y

Sincerely hope that helps. With the traditional squat and even leg sled, there is an incredible about of pressure built into the core/chest cavity. I'm hoping you'll find a difference in the alternatives I've suggested here..
riley0724

Post by riley0724 »

ok so i need some help creating a good routine that is good for the 8-10 reps a set, i am now allowed to do most of the major lifting things like benching, incline/decline, i would like to try and make an upper body set with EDT's attached and same for lower body. if anyone can help me or give me some input that would be awesome!!

thanks
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Help is here... :)

THE ASK

You requested help creating a good routine that is centered in the 8-10 rep range. You are now allowed to do most of the major lifting things like benching, incline/decline and would like me to suggest an upper body protocol with EDT's attached and same for lower body.

So there's our starting point.

THE BLUEPRINT'S PROPOSED SOLUTION - ONE FAVOR

I'm going to begin by asking one simple favor of you:

Please make sure to run this by your Dr. to get his green light. That's all I ask..

BLUEPRINT SOLUTION: THE RATIONALE

I will begin by suggesting a routine structured around your requested EDT template. And an EXCELLENT suggestion it is. There is no finer way of quantifying, managing and ensuring total tonnage/density overload that Charle's Staley's EDT. Great thinking!

I am also suggesting an abbreviated version consisting of only two to 3 exercises per session. Please do NOT interpret this as me trying to baby you. I am doing so to help you establish your exercise threshold, thereby alllowing us to build upon that going forward. To throw the stock BP EDT template at you inclusive of EDT blocks AFTER the big barbell loading patterns risks going back to square one. I'm not into wasting your time. I'm sure you aren't either :)

WORKOUT FREQUENCY

Unclear on your age/recovery ability but as a suggestion, I would start with a 1on/2 off training frequency. Alternate the day 1 and day 2 workouts I specify below in the following fashion:

Day 1 - Upper body
Rest for 48 hours
Day 2 - Lower body
Rest for 48 hours
Day 1 - Upper body
Rest for 48 hours
etc..

Take note of your ability to increase the reps from workout to workout keeeping all other variables consistent. If you find things slowing down or flatlining, simply insert one extra rest day. Meaning go to a 1 on 3 off.

As you grow stronger the stresses increase on your body. The body needs time to super-compensate and rebuild itself bigger, better and come back stronger for your next visit to the gym. It's a physiological law. If people don't believe this, simply try the following:

Monday morning squat your absolute best 10 rep max, going to failure. Now try that Tuesday, Wendesday and every day thereafter. I'd be surprised if you make it until Friday. Not only will you grow weaker but you'll likely wind up sick/and or injured. Because if your brain doesn't stop you your body will.

Rest days are the key. For it is not the notes that make the music but the spaces in between.

EDT BASICS - A REFRESHER

A refresher on EDT basics found can be found here:

https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/phpB ... .php?t=437

Second, you'll be running EDT and ONLY EDT in the following fashion. That means no Famine..

DAY 1 - UPPER BODY PUSH/PULL

EDT BLOCK - sets performed back to back

Weighted dip OR DB Incline presses
Seated cable rows

KEY POINTS

- Alternate antagonistic muscle exercises in jump set fahion
- Staley's generally uses 15-20 minutes, (called a PR Zones).
- You perform just this ONE PR Zone per workout.
- Your target weight is one that you can do 20 (not 10 as is usually
recommended)
clean reps with.*
- You will begin with alternating sets of 15-20 reps*.
- As you tire, you may reduce set reps to 10-15 but end with no less
than 10
- Your goal is to do as many reps with good form as possible in the PR
Zone.
- Do not work to, or near failure during ANY set*
- Once able to do 20% more reps than your prior workout, increase load
5% and begin again.
- Suggest 3 minutes between super sets. Further suggest a total of 6 to 7
total supersets for each EDT block.
- This will have you in and out of there in about half an hour, after
warmups/cooldown of course.

* I am making these rep range recommendations not without some thought. Although they will seem "light" at first you will fatigue from set to set as time marches on. Managing this fatigue is the key but manage it you will. Naturally though, you can't keep it up forever and you WILL likely wind up peforming fewer reps per set during the latter sets. As such, that fatigue will likely drive the rep range down into the 8-10 rep threshold. Thus, we preserve your Dr.'s stated marching orders yet still ensure you make progress :)

DAY 2 - LOWER BODY PUSH/PULL

EDT BLOCK - Sets performed back to back

- Romanian Deadlifts
- Leg extensions

An excellent illustration of the RDL's follows:

Romanian Deadlift
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnBREGM7pE0

Same paramaters in terms of reps, sets etc as Day 1.

Finally, finish this workout with an EDT block consisting of the following:

45 degree hyperextensions (bodyweight only)
Abdominal crunches in the following fashion;

Attach a handle/rope to a high cable on say, a cable crossover machine. Now, hold that behind your head, kneel in the ground. Slowly crunch yourself to a point where your nose almost touches the floor. Then reverse the movement.

Tip: try to set yourself up far away from the cable such that it accentuates the "stretch" position at that end of the movement. Actually, I'll do you one better. Have a partner brace himself against your back in an effort to accomplish this.

These exercises are to be performed LAST in your workouts. ALWAYS! Why? Perform it first and then you'll subsequently go into your Romanian Deadlifts with weaked abs/lower back.

If you do these movements prior to your RDL's or ANY big barbell lift involving your core, you might as well call your chiropractor/MD before that workout and schedule the MRI date :)

Finally, why this ab exercise? Because you can perform regular crunches, leg raises etc until you're blue in the face but... where's the overload? You know, that thing that's responsible for muscle growth/getting stronger?

You want stronger abs you challenge them with more weight, reps and total work done in the same unit of time. That's why we use this movement and the resistance it provides. Same principle with arms. If curling cans of campbell soup all day got it done, people would be doing it. They don't b/c it doesn't.

I am imploring you to please print this out and show it to your Dr.

Request his input.

MOST IMPORTANT: I'd like you to share his feedback we me via PM (both positive AND negative) or here if you're comfortable with it. I know I am. Doing so may help me craft a better solution for you!

Provided you get the green light from you're Dr., it's game on!

After you reach your initial goal of being able to achieve 20% more reps with the same weight, we will re-visit to evaluate whether changing the exercise template, continuing with the same but adding 5% to the weights etc. is warranted.

I have to tell you, I absolutely love a challenge such as this. I woke up this morning, saw this question and threw down an extra cap of Burn It Up! to give you my best.

Just kidding. I took my usual 2 caps of AskMass's brilliant nootropic - and a WHOLE lot more!! :)