My journey to Beast Mode

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
jjones11

My journey to Beast Mode

Post by jjones11 »

Hey guys. Thanks for checking out my log. This would be my 1st BP run.

Background
17 years old, 6'1" and I weighed this morning at 168lbs. Always been into sports but growing up I was always on the chubbier side. Finally at 15 years old I started working out with my brother. I'm not sure when it hit me that I was in terrible shape, when my back kept going out at 15 years old, or when I saw the scale say 220 and 35% bodyfat. Fast forward 4 months later, I was 155 and 12%, shortly followed by a huge mistake of a dirty bulk, and back up to 185 and 22%. Cut back down to my weight now and approximately 15-16%. Got tired of not seeing results and invested in the BP after Rob and Turbo sold me on it.

Current Lifts
Bench: 185
Squat: 285
Deadlift: ~300

Goals
Bench: 205
Squat: 315
Deadlift: 350
Bodyweight: ~180
jjones11

Post by jjones11 »

Started my Famine Phase today. Accidentally kept it below 1000 calories today. Oops :?. Had a great workout regardless though. Intensity was very high, which seemed odd. I've felt focused and energized all day. No problems with the Famine as of now, besides feeling pretty tired.

Workout
Legs press
478x6
478x6
478x6
Seated Cable Row
45x6
50x6
60x6

Chin-ups
BWx6
BWx6
BWx6
1-Armed DB Row
50x6
50x6
50x6

Alternating DB Curls
35x4
Incline DB Curls
35x4
Hammer Strength Machine Curls
60x4

Exercises with the same color indicate superset.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

First, welcome aboard!!

We're glad you're here and I'm right here to assist. Everything looks good so far and day 1 as you noted isn't too bad. For me, day #3 is when it really hits so just be wary of that.

Now do proceed carefully and heed this advice: HEALTH FIRST! If you at all feel sick, "off" or just not right - discontinue. Can't make gains when you're sick.

Having said that, it is a function of the training/diet to feel a bit tired and weak given the increasing intensity/decreasing rest periods from workout to workout. You MAY not require workout #3 but we'll make that call together when you get to day 4.

Do keep tabs on your scale weight and resting heart rate throughout. Those are the objective indicators I'll be looking for in addition to your subjective commentary.

Nice work all around. Do take care to ensure you're getting the required # of calories. 1000K/day is crazy!
jjones11

Post by jjones11 »

Weighed in at 165 this morning. Right on the money, as when I weighed yesterday I had a little bit of food in my stomach. RHR was up by 2 beats approximately. 4 more days and then I can eat!! Can't wait. Today might be the toughest for me though. 10 hour shift :(. Luckily it's an off day from the gym.
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

jjones11 wrote:Weighed in at 165 this morning. Right on the money, as when I weighed yesterday I had a little bit of food in my stomach. RHR was up by 2 beats approximately. 4 more days and then I can eat!! Can't wait. Today might be the toughest for me though. 10 hour shift :(. Luckily it's an off day from the gym.
Hey buddy!! glad to see you got yhis run underway!!...My advise is listen to Rob, Hank, Draco, Brain, Big Jaz and some of the other pro's around here, ask questions if you have one..there IS NOT a dumb question on these forums, we are all here to help and support, and we're all pullin for ya man!!

Famine is just 5 days it can be tryin sometimes, but it's well worth the trouble..I'm gonna be following this log bro, and I expect nothing less than success!! :wink:
jjones11

Post by jjones11 »

TURBOFLEX wrote:Hey buddy!! glad to see you got yhis run underway!!...My advise is listen to Rob, Hank, Draco, Brain, Big Jaz and some of the other pro's around here, ask questions if you have one..there IS NOT a dumb question on these forums, we are all here to help and support, and we're all pullin for ya man!!

Famine is just 5 days it can be tryin sometimes, but it's well worth the trouble..I'm gonna be following this log bro, and I expect nothing less than success!! :wink:
Awesome to have you in Turbo!!

Need some of the pro's input in my feast workout. I'd like to do an Upper/Lower split when I'm done with famine. Or would you suggest I just use the template provided in the book for my 1st run? If I did an upper/lower split it would be something like upper/rest/lower/rest and repeat.
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

Awesome to have you in Turbo!!

Need some of the pro's input in my feast workout. I'd like to do an Upper/Lower split when I'm done with famine. Or would you suggest I just use the template provided in the book for my 1st run? If I did an upper/lower split it would be something like upper/rest/lower/rest and repeat.
Good question, in fact I asked the same one a couple days ago 8) ..And I got the answer I was looking for..Yes it is perfectly fine to split upper and lower, I will be doing the same split..and the split you mentioned looks great, I will probably be doin mine very simular..and if you need to throw an extra day for rest in there after any of those workouts thats cool too..

It's hard to do sometimes but every once in a while you got take an extra day, and something I'm finding incredibly effective and necessary for progress..If theres any question atall or your not completly sure..take another day!![/quote]
jjones11

Post by jjones11 »

TURBOFLEX wrote:Good question, in fact I asked the same one a couple days ago 8) ..And I got the answer I was looking for..Yes it is perfectly fine to split upper and lower, I will be doing the same split..and the split you mentioned looks great, I will probably be doin mine very simular..and if you need to throw an extra day for rest in there after any of those workouts thats cool too..

It's hard to do sometimes but every once in a while you got take an extra day, and something I'm finding incredibly effective and necessary for progress..If theres any question atall or your not completly sure..take another day!!
Noted. So would your upper body day just be bench plus 2 or 3 EDT blocks then abs? Same with lower body except squats, and 1 or 2 lower EDT blocks.

On a seperate note, my kre-anabolyn, and GABA should be in by the time I start feast. I think I'm more excited about those than the BP altogether!!
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

Yup..that's what I'm doin anyway..yea I hope to try me some MASS sometime!! I think you're gonna like it!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

In an effort to assist, I'd suggest the following during Feast:

"Noted. So would your upper body day just be bench plus 2 or 3 EDT blocks then abs? Same with lower body except squats, and 1 or 2 lower EDT blocks."

A. You want to do the big barbell lifts justice first, THEN proceed to 2/3 EDT blocks for the UPPER body. Something along the lines of the following:

EDT Block #1

Incline DB bench press
1 arm DB rows

EDT Block #2

Seated shoulder press
Upright rows OR heavy BB shrugs

EDT Block #3 (optional)

Incline DB curls
Overhead tricep extension using both arms and 1 DB

I say optional on Block #3 because truth be told, your bi's tri's will be getting PLENTY of stimulation from the heavy pushing/pulling we do elsewhere.

Also, make sure to work your abs on your LEG day, not upper body day. I want those abs fresh and strong going into your SQ workouts. Make sure to place them LAST on your SQ/lower body day. REASON: To pre-fatigue them going into a big barbell lift like SQ/RDL's is dangerous. With weakened abs, the lower back will pick up the slack and you for sure don't want that...

For the lower body EDT blocks, suggest the following:

EDT Block #1

Hack squats or leg press machine
Romanian Deadlifts

Static ab crunch with a MAXIMAL weight. 2 holds for 5-15 seconds with 3 minutes in between holds. You'll note we only perform 1 EDT block here as two compound movements in EDT AFTER your squats are BRUTAL and more than enough.

"On a seperate note, my kre-anabolyn, and GABA should be in by the time I start feast. I think I'm more excited about those than the BP altogether!!"

A. You will love what these do for you insofar as mitigating DOMS, re-partitioning nutrients into muscle tissue and super stocking muscular cell substrates full of glycogen, ATP etc.. The Gamma GH is research proven to boost GH 480% when 3grams are taken prior to a workout and 550% when taken prior to sleep:

https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/prohormone.html

Note that GH release peaks during the first 90 minutes of deep sleep, so that's your starting point and window within which everyone should take advantage. Note also that going to bed on a belly full of carbs blunts this GH release! Back on point... with respect to Gamma GH:

There is new research pointing to beneficial effects of consuming GABA pre-training. If willing to entertain, I'd suggest 3g prior to the workout on an empty a stomach as possible. Reason: recently a study demonstrated it quadruples GH output of the training session:

https://www.ergo-log.com/gabagh.html

Ideal during Feast/Cruise and quite economical at that. NOTE: Start with a LOW dose on an EMPTY stomach. GABA can impart a flushing effect if you're not familiar with it. Start with 1g and work your way up to 3g about 30 min prior to the workout. If using a pre-workout thermogenic or coffee, ideal to take it alongside as GABA can cause drownsiness and/or relaxation in some.

The empty stomach part is important b/c if consumed alongside protein, the other aminos inherent therein will compete with GABA (and win), washing out its ability to cross the blood/brain barrier.

There is even research supporting a 550% increase in GH when taken prior to bed. In one study conducted by Italy's First Medical Clinic, University of Milan - a 5 gram oral dose was shown to increase Human Growth Hormone (HGH) by 550% within 90 minutes. Consider dosing prior to workouts, away from food during the day and before bedtime if you haven't eaten in a few hours.

In fact, I keep a bottle of Gamma GH by my bathroom sink. If I get up at night to use the bathroom, 5g of GammaGH goes down the hatch for another GH spike. It also gives helps me fall back to sleep easier. So... multiple opportunities to boost GH if so inclined.

And remember, GammaGH is HPCS/HPLC 100% pure GABA. The same can't be said for "cheap" brands you'll find elsewhere, many of which come out of China. Anyone recall the melamine fiasco? Babies died after the Chinese slipped melamine into infant formula to spike the protein content on the testing methodology. All looked well on the certificate of analysis. Try telling that to the parents of the babies that died.

Not taking chances with my body. Neither should you...
jjones11

Post by jjones11 »

Happy Thanksgiving, BP community! Couldn't weigh this morning but my rhr was up 1 bpm. I got 1390 cals in yesterday. Seems right on the money. After I'm off work gonna hit the gym. Hopefully it's empty today *crosses fingers*
jjones11

Post by jjones11 »

I got the Gammagh and kre-anabolyn, as well as a greens supplement, all from bodybuildingsupplements.com. Didn't want to take any chances getting a cheap knock off from anywhere else. I'd rather spend a little extra and know I'm getting quality.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Good man. You have the highest quality stuff available. Now it's time to add some quality training, sweat and you're good to go!!
jjones11

Post by jjones11 »

Just got done training. It was quite a bit tougher than day 1 :P . During bench I literally felt every pound when I was bringing it down. It didn't feel like lifting a piece of paper off my chest today. Anyways my workout went as follows:

Flat BB Bench
135x4
135x4
135x6
Side Lateral Raise
20x6
25x6
25x6

Dips
BWx6
Tricep pushdowns w/ a rope
40x6
Skullcrushers
50x6

Color indicates superset. Wasn't to concerned with strength today. Wasn't too unexpected. The reason I did side laterals, instead of shoulder press relates to the following questions. Does anyone know if there's a correlation between overhead pressing, and rotator cuff damage? This is what I was told by my baseball coach, and as a result my team is discouraged from lifting weight above their head. Also could I fit heavy, weighted dips in my EDT blocks, or since I would go heavy would it constitute as my BB lift? Heavy as in 50+ lbs on a belt. Dunno if anyone else would call this heavy...