Xlb57 - Doing it BP-style for the 1st time!

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Here's what I'd do..

Play defense (prehab/rehab type stuff) on the shoulder. HOWEVER, we're going on the OFFENSE with the legs and other muscle groups you CAN lift hard and heavy with.

For more details on this, please see the following:

https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/phpB ... ngthelimit

SUMMARY: This gentleman, through his own hard work and willingness to try something new.... is successfully re-habbing his shoulder and slapped 50 F'IN POUNDS on his 1RM Squat in just over 6 weeks....and he's only halfway through The Blueprint Periodic portion of the program!!

That man, is what's possible if you still play offense :)
xlb57

Post by xlb57 »

Really appreciate the response. That is more or less what I did today. Went REALLY light on press movements and absolutely killed the legs! Will post numbers later, but it was a big improvement over my original Feast Workout #1.

The shoulder feels great right now. I wanted to do some light movements (barbell decline and db incline) to get some blood flowing to the area more than anything else. I couldn't believe how strong my legs felt today though, so I am optimistic that this is going to workout!
xlb57

Post by xlb57 »

So here was today's workout. Take note that I strayed from the format slightly due to my shoulder issue (suspected AC joint sprain):

-Decline barbell bench: 135 x 18 x 2 (skipped pullover due to shoulder)

-Squat: 300 x 11 (Up from last workout!) PR
moved right into SLDL: 165 x 10 (Up from last workout!)

Upper EDT:
-Incline DB: 25 x 15, 30 x 15, 35 x 15 x 2 (went VERY light - noticed some soreness, but nothing bad)
superset with Tbar: 130 x 6 x 6 (Total reps = 36 - Up from last time!)

Lower EDT:
-Leg press: 748 x 6 x 5, 748 x 9 (Total reps = 39 - Up from last time!) PR
superset with Seated ham curls: 140 x 6 x 5, 140 x 12 (Total reps = 42 - Up from last time!)

Calves: 90 x 15 x 2, 90 x 12 x 1

So, while I am frustrated with my shoulder, I now know that flat barbell bench just likely isn't in the cards for me; however, this gives me an opportunity to absolutely kill the legs and do things with them I have never done before. I plan to be cautious with the upper body (specifically push movements) until I feel that I am "in the clear".

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated![/b]
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Keep on doing what you're doing!

Up! is a GREAT thing. Please let me know if and when any of these are PR's. I rather like seeing them :)
xlb57

Post by xlb57 »

My bad...I went back and indicated which were personal bests.

Shoulder feels AWESOME this morning. Legs are a little tired (I wonder why?), but my shoulder is virtually pain-free. I am feeling good about this approach and look forward to the next workout.

Rob - Would you suggest that I move to Feast Workout #2 and follow a similar protocol (careful with upper body and domination with lower)?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Nice to see those PR's bolded. Thank you :)

And yes, the strategy you're outlining is perfect. Great work my man. Can't tell you how happy this makes me!
xlb57

Post by xlb57 »

Legs felt real strong again today. Took upper movements rather light and focused on volume and form. Shoulder was a bit sore afterwards, but not as bad as the first day...Probably similar to how it felt after the last workout. Iced it when I got home and I'm good to go.

Today's workout:

Squat: 325 x 8 PR
SLDL: 185 x 8 PR

Decline BP: 135 x 15 x 1, 155 x 15 x 2
Pullover: 45 x 12

Lower EDT:

Leg Press: 758 x 6 x 5, 758 x 7 x 1 (Total Reps: 37)
superset w/Seated Ham Curls: 145 x 6 x 5, 145 x 9 x 1 (Total Reps: 39)

Upper EDT:

Incline DB: 40 x 15 x 5 (Shoulder started to get a little aggrevated)
superset w/Tbar: 130 x 6 x 4, 130 x 7 x 2 -Total Reps: 38

So in the end, I got some decent upper body work in for the shoulder and hit the legs very hard. Increased the weights on the majority of lifts. I'll take it! Next workout, I might up the weight just a bit on upper body to see how the shoulder holds out.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

PRs are PR's!

GREAT so happy for you!!
xlb57

Post by xlb57 »

Rob / Others - Would you suggest I finish out Feast Workouts in the manner that I have been going about them (doing light upper with heavy lower) or would you suggest I place something like heavy deadlifts in place of the decline barbell and keep the light incline DB as part of the EDT combined with Tbar? I am just itching to go heavy on my lifts and since I don't think my shoulder is again ready for that yet, I am wondering whether or not it would make sense to insert deadlift instead.

Thanks for any thoughts!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Suggest you place Romanian/heavy deadlifts in place of the decline barbell and keep the light incline DB as part of the EDT combined with Tbar.

There's your answer!

There's always time to go on offense. Just makes sense to during the remainder of Feast where you can.

Great work doing it justice man. You're rolling with life's punches and finding your way. So glad to see it!!
xlb57

Post by xlb57 »

Thanks man, that's what I'll do then. New bit of lovely news, I am now getting sick too it seems. Woke up feeling as though a cold was setting in and now that they day is just about done, it hasn't gotten better yet. I was going to train tomorrow morning, but now I am thinking I may hold off another day...we'll see.

My shoulder, now a cold. WTF!? UGH
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Try 2g of Vit C every 2 waking hours.

Can't tell you why but it works for me. Bump up the Zinc and NAC (builds glutathione) if you have it as well. Here's my daily health stack:

Multi Life
3 grams Vit C
600 IU of NATURAL Vit E (d-alpha, not DL-alphatocowhateverol)
300mg of R-ALA
3-6g of fish oil or 1 tablespoon Ultimate Omega

All of that, with copious amounts of MassPro build incredible glutathione levels. This is your body's most prolific anti-oxidant. Linus Pauling said it on his deathbed "host cell resistance is the key".

Build that strong immunity with those nutrients and you're doing all you can...
xlb57

Post by xlb57 »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been pounding down the Vit C today and I think I am feeling better. It's just that time of year I suppose. I am hoping to workout tomorrow afternoon...
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OK take care. Get your sleep!