OT: daily deficit vs. weekly deficit

Learn, share, DISCOVER. Training Table Tips & Diet Discussion
funkymonk

OT: daily deficit vs. weekly deficit

Post by funkymonk »

Mixel, I remember reading somewhere someone saying that you recommended eating 120% of maintenance on lifting days, and 100% on off days for bulking, or 100/70 for cutting.

This ring a bell? If not, what are your thoughts about eating more calories on lifting days compared to nonlifting days while still reaching the same weekly surplus/deficit?
scump

Post by scump »

rob supports this and actually recconmends it in the blueprint itself.

me personally if your cutting in feast and training this this frequency:

day on
day off
day off
day on

i would recconmend this

day on 120%
day off 100%
day off 70%
day on 120%

this is kinda bro science on my behalf, but as you know muscle growth occurs after working out, so imo you dont want to deplete calories for your first rest day, some data supports this for accelerated recovery too.
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

Funky you can tailor your intake based on how you respond. My guess is this type of rotation is not really designed for a cut but more of a recomp.

I have tried the 120%on /80% off methods but my problem was my schedule was to hectic and days when I didn't think I would be able to lift I ended up lifting, my eating and planning were just a mess etc etc.
Another method would be to over feed in the 1st 2 weeks scale back to maint calories 2nd two weeks, then stay in a deficit for the last couple of weeks.

As for caloric intake I think the rule is :over a given period of time i.e 6weeks if your intake is greater/ less than than your output you will add mass / lose mass.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Two options here as I see it and both work well.

1.) Caloric zig-zags as outlined in varying degrees
2.) Straight descending caloric spiral over 6 weeks, ideally every 2 weeks decreasing calories slightly.

The key point to remember is that the longer you over-feed, the more fat gets stored. REASON: The enzymes that store fat become more active as time goes on. Thus, each strategy "delays" that enzyme from building to the threshold level where you're laying down fat.

It does take some experimentation. However, both strategies will allow you to finish out Feast lean, strong and in a great position to initiate cruise.

Hope that helps!
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

option 2 that Rob gave there has worked very well for me in past when cutting