JlCh Log - 1st Run, better late than never!

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Will do. Also, I was thinking about bumping up to 80's for incline press/pullovers. I'm pretty confident that I could hit 20% increase next workout. Not to mention, as the weight goes up and the reps decrease for bench, it seems my endurance goes up quite a bit. Wanted to get the OK before increasing the weight though.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

A OK :)
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Great :). Squat workout tonight! Hopefully back doesn't give me too much trouble.
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

I'm hoping today was an off day, but really had 0 motivation during squats. Hit all but the last rep and didn't run out of energy, just didn't really feel any umph to work out. Felt fine once EDT set hit though, so maybe I should do a brisk walk prior to get my blood flowing or something. Not sure, I'll play around with it if the feeling hits again.

Squat:
155x10, 225x8, 245x6, 265x4, 280x2, 300x1 <-- form went to shit so I didn't try a 2nd rep.

EDT (18 min):
Leg Press: 405x6x6x6x6x6x6 (36)
SLDL: 210x6x6x6x6x6x6 (36)

Cable SH Crunch:
45x10 sec
70x10 sec

I upped the weight on both leg press and SL deads, but did more reps than my prior workouts. Also, I moved to a different cable machine that allows me to add an attachment to put plates on it for extra weight. So I'll be adding only the extra weight, but it's the whole stack + that weight.

Slow beginning but finished the workout pretty nicely once EDT set started. If this feeling doesn't go away I may drop feast and start up cruise.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Very solid all around. Perfectly normal to miss a rep or two here or there on this loading pattern.

Great work man. Great work...
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Lol, thanks. I just didn't think I should be trying good mornings with 300 lbs!

Jokes aside, I think I could have pulled off the rep, just didn't want to chance it.
LHockey

Post by LHockey »

hey man, just did some catching up on your journal.

sucks about the nagging injuries, but seems like you're making great progress anyway!
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Thanks for reading!

And yea, the injuries suck but I deal with them a day at a time. Weird thing is my shoulders were my worry going into this, now it seems it's everything but them lol. Will have to start playing around with different little exercises to try and warm everything up a little better, as one problem pops up after fixing another.
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Well, warmed up a bit differently and seemed to help out the joints quite a bit. The guy spotting me called me a pussy for asking him to help unrack the weight for me (to take stress off my elbows until they heal up) so I ended up unracking it by myself lol. They didn't hurt doing so, which was a surprise.

GLP Bench Press w/o #4:

Bench Press: 135x10, 190x8, 205x6, 220x4, 235x2, 255x2 <-- Nailed first rep, got help on 2nd

EDT (18 min):
Incline DB Press: 80x5x5x5x4x3x3 (25)<-- last rep wasn't quite full ROM, but I'm counting it :p.
Dumbell Pullovers: 80x6x6x5x5x5x4 (31)

Bentover BB Rows: 135x8, 145x8, 155x8

The EDT set kicked my butt. I felt like it was a lower body workout lol. So, between the extra rep on bench and that beating I took during EDT I opted not to do any static holds. Not to mention my joints are doing decent so I didn't want to ruin that. Over all was a very solid workout. Always a bit strange sweating as much as the people doing cardio though lol.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

GREAT work here for all to see..

Smart move foregoing the static holds.
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

So, I have spoken with Rob about things. Due to the weakening of joints and what not, I'd like to pick up a high rep workout for when I hit cruise. I figured it'd be a good chance to strengthen up my joints and work on my form. After sitting around thinking about it for a few days, I realized there was a program that I heard about a while back that had me interested. I won't get into details or anything, but the workout format looks like this:

I feel it fits pretty closely to what I wanted to do. Although I was thinking about splitting up certain sections for Mon/Wed/Fri. Would like to get some opinions on it.
LHockey

Post by LHockey »

JlCh wrote:So, I have spoken with Rob about things. Due to the weakening of joints and what not, I'd like to pick up a high rep workout for when I hit cruise. I figured it'd be a good chance to strengthen up my joints and work on my form. After sitting around thinking about it for a few days, I realized there was a program that I heard about a while back that had me interested. I won't get into details or anything, but the workout format looks like this:

I feel it fits pretty closely to what I wanted to do. Although I was thinking about splitting up certain sections for Mon/Wed/Fri. Would like to get some opinions on it.
the workout plan looks interesting, definitely gotta take care if the joints!

lol at the guy calling you a pussy, what a doucher
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Lol, he's actually really nice and talk with him in the gym all the time. He just didn't know the situation and is use to seeing kids asking for people to unrack a weight they can't handle and hurting themselves.

And yea, I have a friend that has been using the HST program for past few months and saw good gains with it. My worry is the load may be too much; as it's a full body workout, but will wait for Rob's perspective.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Only problem I see here is the constant rep range. Yes, it's in 5 x 5 too BUT EDT blocks address the rep accomodation issue. Remember this well: Of all the variables your body accomodates too, the rep pattern is the quickest. It seems 6 workouts is the magic #. Why, I only wish I could tell you.

If you can pull that off though, you have my blessing.